• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What content is working for your organic traffic/SEO?

Dane,

That was a great breakdown of how to approach this problem. Just to clarify that I fully understand the order to approach this

1 - VDP pages focused with "near me" and or "geo" (we're using geo currently, so VDP pages are buttoned up)
2 - Same with SRPs (we have vendors that generate dynamic urls which causes duplicates but that's another issue)
3 - MRPs we do have but they're generally written for DDE reports and or to car enthusiast audience (we do link out to local businesses)
4 - Ads account and Search Console to find exploratory keywords and converting keywords to write content for

Dane,

That was a great breakdown of how to approach this problem. Just to clarify that I fully understand the order to approach this

1 - VDP pages focused with "near me" and or "geo" (we're using geo currently, so VDP pages are buttoned up)
2 - Same with SRPs (we have vendors that generate dynamic urls which causes duplicates but that's another issue)
3 - MRPs we do have but they're generally written for DDE reports and or to car enthusiast audience (we do link out to local businesses)
4 - Ads account and Search Console to find exploratory keywords and converting keywords to write content for

VDPs are good with the geo. The "near me" was more of a reference toward understanding the keywords that are connected to low-funnel shoppers, and Google is smart enough to decipher that "near me" means the local geo -- so it just reinforces more the importance of using it: URL, body copy, and other meta.

Same with SRPs. Yeah, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you'll want to resolve the issue of duplicates.

I would honestly recommend changing up the approach to MRPs. We saw engagement rates increase when we highlighted just a few value propositions, a single paragraph of savvy (but general copy) that appeals to the average shopper, and direct access to relevant inventory without clicking. Links aren't necessary on MRPs to local businesses, as you don't want to give them an opportunity to leave the site. I'd save those links for blogs, as well as write blogs to car enthusiasts. I honestly believe that the MRPs should appeal to the common shopper to get eyes on inventory, but that might not align with your philosophy -- I can only offer what I consider to be a best practice.

Yes. Your Ads account and Search Console shoudl be the first two places you look to for keywords and search queries/phrases to see the impressions you get from them and the conversions you get from them, then prioritize content based on those. Make sure that from the bottom up -- meaning from your (bottom of the funnel) VDPs to SRPs to MRPs to homepage to (depending on the keyword) F&I and service to SEM to your (middle) blogs to (top of the funnel) your social and other programmatic channels, like Pandora, are addressing the varying levels of search intent.

When you have the content in place, you can start really looking at your conversion opportunities. Use tools like Hot Jar to see how shoppers are behaving on your site to make various adjustments to make sure your opportunities are in the right place and are relevant to the purpose of the pages. See what they're doing on the site.

And there are plenty of other tools you can use for monitoring rankings, etc.

If you ever want to talk more at length, shoot me an email at [email protected]. I'm happy to chat and share some of our content with you (it's pitch-free).

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
When you have the content in place, you can start really looking at your conversion opportunities. Use tools like Hot Jar to see how shoppers are behaving on your site to make various adjustments to make sure your opportunities are in the right place and are relevant to the purpose of the pages. See what they're doing on the site.

And there are plenty of other tools you can use for monitoring rankings, etc.

If you ever want to talk more at length, shoot me an email at [email protected]. I'm happy to chat and share some of our content with you (it's pitch-free).

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense and I will definitely shoot you an email in the future.

Reactions: Dane Saville
Curious what you guys think about this page.

Created to rank for "used jeep grand cherokee in [city]", as they are a CDJR dealer. Added breadcrumbs, both as structured data and within the HTML. It's a SRP specific to used Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It ranks #8 for this query. Still getting crushed by CarGurus and the like, but it was also just created. At the very least, the dealership is able to siphon some traffic thanks to a page that previously didn't exist.

The page also has Product schema, and you can see the price range reflected in Google, although I'm starting to think SearchResultsPage schema would be more appropriate. Debating linking the most popular models via the navigation, under Used.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Curious what you guys think about this page.

Created to rank for "used jeep grand cherokee in [city]", as they are a CDJR dealer. Added breadcrumbs, both as structured data and within the HTML. It's a SRP specific to used Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It ranks #8 for this query. Still getting crushed by CarGurus and the like, but it was also just created. At the very least, the dealership is able to siphon some traffic thanks to a page that previously didn't exist.

The page also has Product schema, and you can see the price range reflected in Google, although I'm starting to think SearchResultsPage schema would be more appropriate. Debating linking the most popular models via the navigation, under Used.

Thank you in advance for any input.

My first thought on looking at the page was: On desktop I am one full scrolled page away from viewing inventory.

In looking at your internal links in that content section, you link to Used Jeeps for sale - yet send it to a generic used inventory page. Would it be a better user experience to create a Used Jeeps For Sale SRP & send that link to it?

Reactions: Dane Saville
I think @ChrisR is spot on.

Give the essential information and delete the language around it.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the brand's flagship SUV, and it's maintained its status for good reason:
  • NHTSA Overall Safety Rating 4/5
  • Kelly Blue Book Expert Rating 8.6/10
Car and Driver even called it the "venerable off-road brand's bread and butter...".

At Lee CDJR, we have myriad selections among Loredo, Upland, Altitude, Limited, and Trailhawk trims.

Learn more about the Jeep Grand Cherokee here (link to a blog you wrote that opens in a new window -- don't give them any reason, even if it opens in a new window, to leave the site).

----

With that being said, you might even want to restructure the page to throw in two or three of the major value props with a disclaimer that some are available only on specific trims.

By shortening up the language, you bring up the inventory, so it's not a full scroll.

I agree that the used inventory link should go to only used JGC.

In looking at your internal links in that content section, you link to Used Jeeps for sale - yet send it to a generic used inventory page. Would it be a better user experience to create a Used Jeeps For Sale SRP & send that link to it?

Thank you @ChrisR, liking that idea a lot. Going to revise the internal link specific to "used vehicles", and create an additional link ("used jeeps") to that new page.

With "content silos" (or "topic clusters") in mind, likely better for user experience like you mention and site architecture to internally link from the main Used page to these types of pages, and from there, links to specific used vehicles.

siloing.jpg
https://www.iqseo.org/building-internal-links-for-seo-wins/

Much appreciated.