• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What does your PRICING have to do with your REVIEWS?

...At least down here in Miami, FL most of the customers we get are highly educated and actually do visit review websites for feedback. As "MullerToyota" pointed out pricing does certainly have a lot to do with your reviews. Unfortunately as well those who are not making any purchase.
With data pouring on in how customers are using mobile devices - pricing comparisons and doing research like checking reviews - combined with the growth of these devices, this is going to be a bigger and bigger factor in customer decisions over the next year and beyond.

With data pouring on in how customers are using mobile devices - pricing comparisons and doing research like checking reviews - combined with the growth of these devices, this is going to be a bigger and bigger factor in customer decisions over the next year and beyond.

I'll break with ya just a bit Ed and only partially agree.
IMO, mobile's screen size will prevent it from early research way up the sales funnel. Mobile's upside will come to those shoppers that are deep in the funnel and want to interact with the car they've picked, or the dealer(s) they are negotiating with (text with a rep, get directions, get a text alert when a price drops, get production updates on their unit, get rebate/promo updates, etc..)

Case in point.
Have you booked a flight or a hotel via mobile device? I'll use it for a hasty decision, but, I always feel I'm not seeing all the possibilities.

Following my best guess where this is going...
Dealer's, web vendors, classified sites should be creating new tools built specifically for mobile. Off the top of my pointy head in a hurry...

VDP: "Text you when this price drops",
VDP: "email and text you when pics of this new arrival are taken",
VDP: "Is it in stock? Use our express inventory checker - click here and get an instant text!"
VDP: "Join our First Alert Club, when a price drops, our First Alert Members get instant messaged first!"
VDP: "Email us an offer, we'll send your reply via text!",
VDP, SRP: "Text us a question"...

I'll break with ya just a bit Ed and only partially agree.
IMO, mobile's screen size will prevent it from early research way up the sales funnel. Mobile's upside will come to those shoppers that are deep in the funnel and want to interact with the car they've picked, or the dealer(s) they are negotiating with (text with a rep, get directions, get a text alert when a price drops, get production updates on their unit, get rebate/promo updates, etc..)

Case in point.
Have you booked a flight or a hotel via mobile device? I'll use it for a hasty decision, but, I always feel I'm not seeing all the possibilities.

Following my best guess where this is going...
Dealer's, web vendors, classified sites should be creating new tools built specifically for mobile. Off the top of my pointy head in a hurry...

VDP: "Text you when this price drops",
VDP: "email and text you when pics of this new arrival are taken",
VDP: "Is it in stock? Use our express inventory checker - click here and get an instant text!"
VDP: "Join our First Alert Club, when a price drops, our First Alert Members get instant messaged first!"
VDP: "Email us an offer, we'll send your reply via text!",
VDP, SRP: "Text us a question"...
Joe, I agree that, right now, most mobile devices don't lend themselves to extensive high funnel research. (I think the iPad and other tablets could change that)

But imagine a shopper getting a bit of a run around from Dealer A. They are ready to buy, but the A Plan didn't work out. Don't you think more than a few will use their mobile device to search for alternate dealers close by? And those folks will see the same Google information - complete with reviews - they'd see on their desktop.

Maybe they're happy with the dealer they're at, but have been switched to an alternate vehicle by the salesman. Instant price check with other dealers.

Another scenario is service. A customer suddenly feels their engine misfiring. They pull over, do a quick search for nearby dealers, and pick the best combination of location and good reviews.

I'm thinking we are at the leading edge of big change. The empowered customer is getting much more powerful.

• Multiple Good reviews are the hallmark of a well run business*.
  • Multiple Bad reviews are the hallmark of an exec. crew that thinks reviews come from the from the sales floor.

In the scenario above, should a poorly run organization adopt ANY sales system that'll increase sales... we all know what'll happen... you'll end up with even more bad reviews.

*regardless of industry

Reactions: 1 person
  • Multiple Good reviews are the hallmark of a well run business*.
  • Multiple Bad reviews are the hallmark of an exec. crew that thinks reviews come from the from the sales floor.

In the scenario above, should a poorly run organization adopt ANY sales system that'll increase sales... we all know what'll happen... you'll end up with even more bad reviews.

*regardless of industry

Joe,

While your remark is true, I think this is more inline with what really happens:

• Multiple Good reviews are the hallmark of a dealer that understands and works the angles of reputation management.
  • Multiple Bad reviews are the hallmark of an exec.that doesn't know or understand about reputation management.

Joe,

While your remark is true, I think this is more inline with what really happens:

• Multiple Good reviews are the hallmark of a dealer that understands and works the angles of reputation management.
  • Multiple Bad reviews are the hallmark of an exec.that doesn't know or understand about reputation management.

yago,

Yes Yago, soliciting positive reviews to counter negatives has a place in our space, but that is just one small step.

If a high end restaurant can't average more than 3 stars. I ask you, what is their REAL problem? Is it "working the angles"?

What if that same restaurant decided to lower its prices to increase it's volume (and reduce expectaions). Will that drop in price and the stresses of add'l volume cause or create more stars?? (think cars here).

All thats happened is the business challenges that frustrated the leadership now have new names. Now the owner faces tighter margins AND he's got to everyone to run at twice the speed. (think cars here).

Reputation does not ties to low prices, low volume or working the angles, its tied to the leaders vision and their team building skills. Vauto's benchmark players are far more than great car guys, the are real business leaders.

yago,

Yes Yago, soliciting positive reviews to counter negatives has a place in our space, but that is just one small step.

If a high end restaurant can't average more than 3 stars. I ask you, what is their REAL problem? Is it "working the angles"?

What if that same restaurant decided to lower its prices to increase it's volume (and reduce expectaions). Will that drop in price and the stresses of add'l volume cause or create more stars?? (think cars here).

All thats happened is the business challenges that frustrated the leadership now have new names. Now the owner faces tighter margins AND he's got to everyone to run at twice the speed. (think cars here).

Reputation does not ties to low prices, low volume or working the angles, its tied to the leaders vision and their team building skills. Vauto's benchmark players are far more than great car guys, the are real business leaders.

I didn't mean it just in a negative way,

If you are totally unaware of reputation you have more chances to fail than if you set goals for your sales people to achieve.

For example you will see stores with bad online reputation but a great CSI score. How is that possible? Because we can learn to work in such a way that we can get certain things without changing the business philosophy.

I think is getting harder to do. I hope it gets harder to do.

But a manager that is aware of it has more chances to do well than not, and I say that in a positive way. Being aware of its importance is the first step in installing a company wide policy of transparency and better customer interaction.

I had this report on my computer. I had seen a more recent version but it was completely unchanged from this one. Do consumers believe the reviews? I think it is obvious.

Does pricing effect your reviews. My most satisfied customers were ones where I made a profit. Some of the least satisfied customers were mooches. I made nothing and were a CSI nightmare.
graph-01.jpg

Reactions: 1 person