• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Not To Blog

Katie

Over the Curb
Apr 10, 2010
First Name
Katie
Most dealerships and dealer service providers have a blog, right? And while you try to have engaging conversation that will promote folks to comment and revisit your blog, are there some topics that you just don't discuss?

http://blog.marlboronissan.com/2010/07/19/variety-bad-for-business/

I came across this post today from a Nissan dealer who apparently posted about the Death Penalty.

I understand being casual, and including information for everyone, but politics, religion, etc.,...? Shouldn't that be saved for...well, a political, religious focused blog?

What are your thoughts?

Well I certainly can see where you're coming from. I suppose to me it would depend on the popularity of the topic in the area they are in. If that topic is "all the buzz" in the area and covered on most other media / news outlets then I can see a reason to travel down that path. Otherwise I probably wouldn't touch that topic with a 10 foot pole.

Well I certainly can see where you're coming from. I suppose to me it would depend on the popularity of the topic in the area they are in. If that topic is "all the buzz" in the area and covered on most other media / news outlets then I can see a reason to travel down that path. Otherwise I probably wouldn't touch that topic with a 10 foot pole.

The more I listened to the posters reasoning (we had a brief exchange via Facebook), the more I understood where he was coming from. Maybe my fear of offending someone holds me back a little.

my summary:
Tim M (who I have the highest respect for) uses his blog to discuss "open and potentially raw social subjects" but buggs out when asked about how this content is created with an aim to attract eye balls. Ouch. Careful what you wish for Tim. If you build an audience going down this road, they'll turn on you if they sense they have become part of your ruse.

IMO, if you're going down this road, be open... totally open or trouble awaits.

Just a word of warning from you 'ol Uncle Joe :geezer:

Tim is a great writer, but I think his posts are more for a personal blog. I think it's important to remember that Tim's views are now the views of the dealership. I feel like it is dangerous water to tread. Should he be blogging? Absolutely! But about fashion and etc. on the dealership blog?

...I'm not completely sold on the idea. Although, I now subscribe to the RSS and read his posts. So as I said to him, maybe he is reaching his audience. He got me to subscribe! Though, I'm a blog-a-holic, so it's not 'that' hard to get me to subscribe.

I think it's money, should he avoid Religion/Politics? Sure, absolutely... but he's on top of it, didn't let this get out of hand and knocked it out with a smart blog post.

If he's the guy that has the passion, talent and ability to be the voice of the dealer's blog, they would be stupid not to let him steer the ship, even if it's likely better suited for a personal blog.