• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to cut?

We've actually tried a couple of stints with Craiglist, eBay, etc -- zilch. Interesting to see some 3rd-party validation!!
John, It has always worked for me. Dealers love the newspaper because you can't screw it up. They may waste much of their layout with a heading that nobody reads but if they have pictures, a brief description and a payment or price ...it works. All display advertising works the same way. Customers are looking to see that you have a vehicle that meets their needs at a price (payment) that fits their budget. They don't care that you are family owned, been in business for 60 years and what awards you have won.

I searched AutoTrader and Cars.com in your Zip code. I didn't see any of your competitors that had other than standard new car listings on AutoTrader or new vehicle specials on Cars.com. On AutoTrader, if you go up a level, that lists your entire inventory above everyone else. I remember back to college and a professor that used to say, "be where the competition isn't".
View it like a newspaper ad. Would you ever consider putting out a newspaper ad with MSRP or Call for Price?

If you don't mind expanding, what do you consider "branding" and how do you do it? Thanks!

Branding is creating a uniform image and message to your customers on all the different mediums that they can reach you. eBay, Craigslist templates, third party websites(where possible) your website, etc. It also comes with details... For instance, if your dealership's colors are blue and silver, you wouldn't want to use license plate frames that were green and gold, same goes for your eBay template.. If your colors are blue and silver on your website, your eBay templates shouldn't be green and gold.

Think about McDonald's or Nike... You can see the "golden arches" or the "swoosh" and know exactly who/what that product is without thinking about it. Branding creates that subconcious awareness/knowledge of your product/brand.

I'm sure there are other views or definitions. This is just my quick interpretation of it.