• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What would you do?????

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
Guys and Girls,

I have a question for you guys. It never fails that this time of the month advertisers (shady ones) will open up the reigns on dealers accounts for digital marketing to get more clicks, impressions, etc.. to spend the ad budget completely out for the month. The campaigns were some what structured badly from the start or they simply didn't get the impressions for the month for a variety of diff reasons.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because, I'm getting video ads out the wazoo right now for dealerships I've never heard of before in different states!!!!!! I'm thinking "WTF dude??. Not only am I not in your market but, I'm in a different freaking state!!!" This is extremely horrible management of the dealers marketing funds in my opinion. Soooo.... My question is,

Would you notify the dealer about it?

Here's an example of a dealer I was targeted by that resides in Philadelphia PA!!! I'm in NASHVILLE TN!!!!

upload_2017-7-27_16-2-29.png

Reactions: Adam Schaefer
Surely, it can't hurt to notify the dealer and them their ad agency. This doesn't surprise me and happens all of the time.

Sloppy...I mean there is widening the radii and then there is extending it out to major demographics (not the customer base), knowing the traffic will occur.

Last edited:
Thanks @Alexander Lau. I'm gonna reach out to these dealers. I really hope that they aren't paying via CPM!! I know I've ran into issues with other vendors in the past that would run a script that would increase default keyword CPC 100 - 150% at the end of the month (last 3 - 4 days) across the entire account to spend the budget out! It's freaking CRAZY bro! The same vendors would brag about impression share then when you break out the campaigns to see them by "Hour of Day", the campaigns were dead by 1 - 2pm in the afternoon.

FYI - For those of you reading this, Impression Share is only measured when the campaign is actually running. So you could have a 100% impression share but if the campaign runs out of money at 1pm, you have no more impressions for the rest of the day meaning no clicks!! Your measurement is only from when the campaign had money in it and was actually running. So from the start of the campaign until 1pm your good. From 1pm on, your campaign is dark!!!

My son watches videos of people playing (car) video games, I've noticed that he gets a lot of dealership ads in the preroll/mid-play. I usually ask where they are... usually in the states somewhere (not even close by like Portland/Seattle, locations in New York and Texas). We are on the West Coast of Canada.

Definitely let them know - if they're spending money in your market it's going to drive up the price of your own ads :)

I see vendors make this mistake all the time. I was working with a dealer group to clean up their vendors and we found their AdWords company was regularly extending their range in the last 10 days of the month to finish their AdWords spend. For the last 10 days of the month they would be advertising to customers who are 300km from the dealership.

My son watches videos of people playing (car) video games, I've noticed that he gets a lot of dealership ads in the preroll/mid-play. I usually ask where they are... usually in the states somewhere (not even close by like Portland/Seattle, locations in New York and Texas). We are on the West Coast of Canada.

Do you share the computer? YouTube ads are based on alot more than just what you look at on YouTube.
If you go to dealer sites on the same computer, he will see those ads on YouTube.