• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

When do you introduce F&I into your internet sales process?

Personally, I did not make a habit of bringing up F&I on the first contacts whether via e-mail or phone. The important thing to do is to build value in setting an appointment. Once you bring up Prequalifications, etc. The customer is less likely to set an appointment and actually hit your showroom.

VERY TRUE! There's nothing wrong with giving the customer information. However, I have figured it out then when my salespeople ask too many questions then either them or the customer figure out a reason why not to come in.

Answer questions, get them excited, and get them in. That's what it is all about.

VERY TRUE! There's nothing wrong with giving the customer information. However, I have figured it out then when my salespeople ask too many questions then either them or the customer figure out a reason why not to come in.

Answer questions, get them excited, and get them in. That's what it is all about.

One of the things I loved about managing the BDC was getting a new objection to come up with a rebuttal for.

"I don't want to come in because it's raining out..."

"Clearly, I can understand where you're coming from. So many accidents happen out there in the rain. If I might say so, John, wouldn't this be the best time for you to test drive something new? To see how it does in hazardous weather conditions? Let's set it up, this afternoon or this evening."

ZINGER! :)

"I don't want to come in because it's raining out..."

"Clearly, I can understand where you're coming from. So many accidents happen out there in the rain. If I might say so, John, wouldn't this be the best time for you to test drive something new? To see how it does in hazardous weather conditions? Let's set it up, this afternoon or this evening."

ZINGER! :)

Nice!

My father taught me when I was a teenager that one of the most important things a salesman needs to learn is when to shut up.

Last edited:
Nice!

My father taught me when I was a teenager that one of the most important things a salesman needs to learn is when to shut up.

Very good lesson. Even back in my days of being on the phones with customers, sometimes, they just want to talk and rant and rave. Interjecting=Suicide. I can't tell you how many cases where I've had customers talk themselves into buying a car, or at the very least setting up an appointment.

The best finance manager I have ever worked with actually helped the Internet Dept. We asked to have PDF's made of the full service contract brochure and sent to us. We attached them to all F&I e-mails with a menu on all internet requests. Depending on the customer and the phone notes we attached other products that were not snake oil. It always worked well especially with new or certified vehicles that had incentivized rates. We never included pricing on any of it but the e-mail always had a reminder to the prospect to make sure and ask the finance manager about the products. :)

We have recently added an experienced F&I person full time to our internet department. And while he is learning our system (CRM) he has done very well in getting involved fairly early with as many leads as he can manage.
Since he has been here, 40% of our sales are being financed through us! Now that of course is just the beginning, we'll have to see how it goes in the long run.

Affectively we are learning as we go in terms of when to introduce the F&I guy. Some are done early some alittle later, depending on where we get upto with them on the first point of contact. We also do ask every customer how they will be paying for their next purchase. Most usually say "cash", and we just offer a very valid alternative.

Ducking and Dodging the rate question is what I've been taught to do. At our dealership we like to use a scripted response like "We have some very competitve rates that may be able to save you some money". So hearing that some places have the F&I manager make contact with someone before the sale is complete new to me!

I guess it makes sense if you have someone set on a cash deal, or someone who is going to use outside financing having the F&I office try and convert them to payments before they hit their office.

I'm curious would your F&I contact them and give them a few rates? Or would they give them a similar scripted response to above? I know at our dealerhsip our F&I like to use a competitive rate with there highest reserve before they go to there lowest rate that does not pay the dealership well.

I realize this is an older topic(Forgive me I'm new!) but has anyone seen a good response from this tactic? Has there been any downfalls?

We have an automated email that is sent to internet customer 3 to 5 hours after we respond with a quote. The email is basically a introduction to our finance manager.

Thank you for your interest in the 2010 Honda CR-V! My name is Seth Bond and I am one of the Business Managers here at Heritage Honda. Most of our customers like their purchase to be as convenient and cost effective as possible. That's my specality!

With our "One Stop Shopping" we can:
  • Secure financing with most favorable terms at one of our many lenders.
  • Take care of all required documentation and tag & title work associated with your new vehicle.
  • Assist you in providing all necessary information to your insurance company.
  • Schedule the delivery of your new vehicle around what's convenient for you (not the bank or credit union).
Since buying a car is a big investment, we take pride in offering you the best service possible. In keeping with that click Here to see a list of the protection options available to you for your 2010 Honda CR-V.
In order to answer your questions and help you save time and money, I'd like to call you to discuss the financial program that is best for you. When would be the best time to reach you?

Don't hesitate to call me with any questions you may have.

Seth Bond
Business Manager

See what our customer's are saying about Heritage Honda at DealerRater.com!