• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who is making all the profits?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
An Uncle Joe Moment... Where are we headed? Food for thought over lunch today!

In this new digital age, who are the players that make all the juice? We have the factories (GM,Ford, Nissan, etc), the "Product Selection" web sites (Cars & AUtoTrader) and then the Dealer base that sell and deliver.

Who is making all the profits?

No one really knows, but I do know if we go "all-ecommerce", like the airline biz, look who holds the key's to the kingdom.

WHO IS FINANCIALLY LARGER?

JetBlue or TravelZoo.com?
JetBlue = 1.6 billion
TravelZoo.com = 1.51 billion
(...ah travel who?)

Travelzoo is a website I've visitied once (maybe), a site that almost no one (in my circles) knows about has a value equal to Jet Blue?

Wow, talk about a strange "balance of power".

WHO IS FINANCIALLY LARGER?
PriceLine.com vs TOP 3 Airlines:

Delta carried 162,614,714 passengers in 2010
United/Continental carried 145,550,000 passengers in 2010
SouthWest Air carried 130,948,747 pass. in 2010

$26.8 billion --> Delta + UAL & Contintental + Southwest Air
$26.6 billion --> PriceLine.com

What? Delta + UAL & Contintental + Southwest Air carried 437 million passengers in 2010

PriceLine.com is all over TV
Delta, UAL & Continental are not.

SouthWest Air is all over TV (and not on the "price discovery sites" like PriceLine)

Uncle Joe-ism #1.
Traditional TV is the gateway PAST google (see AT and Cars.com TV campaigns).

Uncle Joe-ism #2.
If you have the size to play, you should be on TV making your own traffic to your site (at least dominate adwords!)

Uncle Joe-ism #3.
Hmm... Me thinks the closer ecommerce gets to the auto biz, the more I need to work for Autotrader and Cars.com hahahaha... ouch, hey don't hit me! I'm the messenger! Don't hit the messenger! that stings!

Reactions: 3 people