• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why Would Anyone Post Helpful Hints to DealerRefresh?

1. There are a lot of sociopaths in management/middle management who think that their way is the best way to do things, as well, even when their way is clearly wrong or is going to result in lost time/money/productivity.

2. There's also the classic psychological conundrum known as the "Vietnam Syndrome," where no one wants to be the one to admit that an idea was a losing proposition and end it, so they keep pouring more time/money/productivity into bad ideas, thinking that victory is just around the corner.

3. In addition, blame what I'd call "Charlie Brown and the Football" mentality among managers, usually of the sociopath variety seen in point #1. These are the managers who come to you and say "XYZ, I'd like your input on 123 idea. Do you think we should keep doing it this way, or not?" No matter what you suggest, they will take the input, pat themselves on the back for having consulted with co-workers, then "pull the football away" and let you fall down on your rear while they continue to do what they've always done, because that was their idea in the first place. They didn't want the input, they just wanted to feel like they had done something.

4. Finally, there's the "What Would Management Do?" conundrum. I worked at a hardware store in college. We would often need to special order things for customers. The owner, who had started the store 30+ years before, was a thrifty PA Dutch man who had unusual ideas about doing things, and who was a poor manager -- he was one of the "Firefighters" mentioned earlier, so you could never get him to get input on things. You'd end up trying to "do what he would do," and he'd inevitably say that you did it wrong.

For example: Customer orders floor tile and grout. You need grout for stock, as well, so you combine the grout order with the floor tile order to get free shipping from the vendor. Manager says: "Why did you order it from XYZ vendor? We could have saved 3 cents per bag ordering from ABC supply." However, if you didn't combine the order, and saved up for a stocking order from ABC, you'd either a. run out of grout and get yelled at, or b. Get the admonishment "Why didn't you add that order to the customer's order, we'd have gotten free shipping.

Don't get me started on the religious debates he'd get you into, either. ;) Nice guy, and I learned a lot from him, but he's a perfect example of why change doesn't get implemented.

I'm finding that more and more in today's world, and it's sad. You really can't implement change unless you are working for yourself, or doing something under the radar.

I'm trying to recall a "sociopath" that I met at a store. I've only been doing it for thirty years but maybe it's my age.

Honestly, I go to my GM or the other managers, at staff meetings, and present ideas and sell them on the benefits. Usually, I would prevail. It's called salesmanship. Understand that I don't present half baked ideas.

I assume that you believe that a person with religious values is unable to make changes in the way they conduct business.

If you are doing things "under the radar", you might find yourself having to be your own boss.

I was in the middle of writing a reply to everyones advice when my GSM wakled out of a meeting and into my office. “I need you to hire some people.” He said.
“Why?” I replied.
“I figured you should pick your own guys . I need you to hire 3-4 people to work under you so I justify paying you and justify things you’ve been asking for.”
“oh… I don’t know what to say.”
“Thank you?” he said.
“You’re welcome.” I replied
“lol No, you could say thank you.” he said
“oh right... thank you.”I replied.
Then he left.
I don’t even know what to type, but you all deserved an update. Thanks for your help guys.

“I figured you should pick your own guys . I need you to hire 3-4 people to work under you so I justify paying you and justify things you’ve been asking for.”
[/QUOTE]

It is funny how you are asking for things to make the dealer better, sell more cars, have a faster system, etc, yet it always gets turned into what is that you-Blake-wants.

Maybe having 'departments' and not playing as a whole team is a problem here.

Your improvements are the benefit of the entire dealer as a business.

I'm trying to recall a "sociopath" that I met at a store. I've only been doing it for thirty years but maybe it's my age.

I assume that you believe that a person with religious values is unable to make changes in the way they conduct business.

If you are doing things "under the radar", you might find yourself having to be your own boss.

You misunderstand me on a couple of key points.

First -- when I mentioned his religious convictions, it wasn't related to his business sense. It was related to the endless conundrums he would pose to us.

I was raised Lutheran, he was Baptist. On at least a weekly basis, he would pose the question: "If you died tonight, do you know if you'd go to Heaven, or hell?" If you replied "I'd go to Heaven, and here's why..." he would launch into an hour-long discussion complete with Biblical citations as to why no one but God knows who can get into Heaven, the sin of pride, we are all sinners, etc.

If you said "I don't know/I wouldn't go to Heaven/etc.," you'd get a similar hour-long lecture about how to get saved.

My point was simply: Just like in his business life, there was NO right answer, no way to please him or do what you thought he would do, or would want you to do.

Consider yourself lucky that you haven't met any sociopaths. I've met one or two, in the 20 years I've been working. They're out there. Don't take it personally that I decided to point out that fact.

Finally, by "under the radar," I mean simply that you do what's best for the company and customer. When I was turning a wrench as a state inspector and tech, I had a boss who loved to cut corners. He would give us the wrong fittings to use on brake lines, etc. and then tell us "Just install them, it doesn't matter, make it work." I would politely listen to him tell me to do something the complete wrong way, and then go back and, in less time, do it the right way that was going to eliminate a call-back or a dangerous situation.

You misunderstand me on a couple of key points.

First -- when I mentioned his religious convictions, it wasn't related to his business sense. It was related to the endless conundrums he would pose to us.

I was raised Lutheran, he was Baptist. On at least a weekly basis, he would pose the question: "If you died tonight, do you know if you'd go to Heaven, or hell?" If you replied "I'd go to Heaven, and here's why..." he would launch into an hour-long discussion complete with Biblical citations as to why no one but God knows who can get into Heaven, the sin of pride, we are all sinners, etc.

If you said "I don't know/I wouldn't go to Heaven/etc.," you'd get a similar hour-long lecture about how to get saved.

My point was simply: Just like in his business life, there was NO right answer, no way to please him or do what you thought he would do, or would want you to do.

Consider yourself lucky that you haven't met any sociopaths. I've met one or two, in the 20 years I've been working. They're out there. Don't take it personally that I decided to point out that fact.

Finally, by "under the radar," I mean simply that you do what's best for the company and customer. When I was turning a wrench as a state inspector and tech, I had a boss who loved to cut corners. He would give us the wrong fittings to use on brake lines, etc. and then tell us "Just install them, it doesn't matter, make it work." I would politely listen to him tell me to do something the complete wrong way, and then go back and, in less time, do it the right way that was going to eliminate a call-back or a dangerous situation.

Actually, I also have strong religious beliefs but that conversation should not exist, in in the work area. I have worked for stores where they had Bible study groups. They met, on their own time, at the dealership. Conversations, like his, could make others feel uncomfortable and open the store to litigation.

I have met some really bad managers but I think "sociopath" is a bit over the top.

I don't fly under the radar. There is very little gray area with me and I refuse to do anything unethical, immoral and definitely nothing illegal. I hate confrontation and try to stay in my own lane. It can come with a cost. I worked for a group, for six years. They fired my GM and brought in Ali Baba and his thieves. One of his new managers told me, "we think of ourselves as Sopranos without the guns". They made some very questionable changes to the website and I got a call from the Attorney General's office. I went to the new GM and he told me that, "I pay the fines". I told him that I was going to follow my old GM, he promised me a raise to stay. When I refused, he threatened to sue me and the group I was going to. He said that he wouldn't win but it would discourage anyone from hiring me. Their Internet department is doing about a third what we did but I still hear negative things, about me, coming from them. Some of these people don't even know me. There is sometimes a toll when you take the high road.

Reactions: 1 person