• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Yelp WiFi Offer

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
Anyone else getting a offer like this? Anyone take up Yelp on the offer and have any experience they would like to share? Thoughts on why you would give Yelp this kind of access/info to your customers?

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else getting a offer like this? Anyone take up Yelp on the offer and have any experience they would like to share? Thoughts on why you would give Yelp this kind of access/info to your customers?

View attachment 3546
The Facebook WiFi system is far superior in my opinion.
https://www.facebook.com/business/facebook-wifi

It forces customers to check in to your business on Facebook in order to connect to the free WiFi. This gives you the free exposure of all their friends seeing the check-in post. It also helps how your dealership's Facebook page ranks in search and places nearby.

One other thing to note is that Facebook WiFi is free whereas I believe Yelp's system charges a monthly fee.

In light of all the hype around FB data these days, what are your thoughts on putting customers through this extra step so they can have the convenience of free wifi?

I have no opinion at this moment, but interested to hear what others think...

I've played with a number of these providers.
The one we settled on eventually was https://cloud4wi.com

It offers social logins, but also tracks foot traffic throughout the building (many of our clients have many access points).
It will show you where people went, how many people came to the store, etc.
It also stores identifiers on the devices so you can leverage it to see return visitors if they have their phone in their pocket.

If they sign onto the wifi, you get plenty of information about them and can see when they come back.
If they never opt in, you just see that their device is a recurring device in your building.

The data is great, but it also offers a marketing platform that lets you market to these customers "anonymously".
A number of companies are using this and Cloud4Wi shares the data across locations, so the following is possible:

1. You go to Jack Astor's and sign onto the WiFi with your Facebook
2. You walk past a coffee shop downtown Toronto and your phone gets an email in 30 seconds with a coupon for that coffee shop, even though you've never step foot inside or consented to them

The Cloud4Wi contract opts you into marketing communications from the entire network.
It's dirty, but it can be leveraged successfully if you're smart.

• Useful
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
In light of all the hype around FB data these days, what are your thoughts on putting customers through this extra step so they can have the convenience of free wifi?

People are definitely more aware than ever before, but I don't think it stops them.
The exodus from Facebook does mean that not all customers can be expected to have Facebook any more though.
Cloud4Wi offers Facebook, Twitter, Google and Email I believe - allows you to do it without any social if you just want to confirm your email address.
Options are key, lets the consumer feel like they've taken the least invasive way, even though their email address connects many dots on the back end.

I honestly think the average person could care less about the Facebook data hype. The only people that seem to care are the media. In 2008 and 2012 when Obama used social media to win, they considered him a genius. Now that Trump's team used it to win, it's evil.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cri...mp-use-of-social-data-bad-and-obama-good.html

Everyone I talk to knew their data was being used to target advertisements to them and in fact like it because they see more relevant ads. They knew that's why Facebook is a free service - they make their money off ads / data.

IIn 2008 and 2012 when Obama used social media to win, they considered him a genius.

If anyone actually cares, the Dems used and had access to wayyyyyyy more data than Cambridge Analytica.

the privacy policies at that time were that if you opted in, you could tell us who all your friends were
the Obama campaign just did this on a digital level [...] we were able to ingest the entire network of Facebook in the US
The Republicans do not have that information and will not get that information

19:25 or so

</politics>

Last edited:
Everyone I talk to knew their data was being used to target advertisements to them and in fact like it because they see more relevant ads

That's how I explain to everyone that's bitches about this. Either way you're gonna get ads in your face, so do you want relevant ads or crap ads that you have zero interest in. I know which one I choose.