• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Your website could be down today (Russia/Ukraine)

Curations

Green Pea
Feb 15, 2022
First Name
Wyatt
Hello all:

I know that this is a big board, and because of that, there are some dealers here that might knowingly, or unknowingly, have their website(s) hosted in/around areas of ongoing Ukraine/Russia conflicts. It was recently reported this afternoon that certain government websites are going offline by virtue of what is known as a Distributed Denial of Service Attack, or DDoS, source: NPR - https://www.npr.org/2022/02/15/1080876311/ukraine-hack-denial-of-service-attack-defense

On recent Twitter feeds that I frequent, there are suggestions of such DDoS now hitting private sectors, which in-turn, could impact the company hosting your website and content on their servers.

What is a DDos?

A Distributed Denial of Service attack is an attempt to take a service, website, servers or anything of the like, offline. These attempts occur when an intentional amount of oversized bandwidth is driven to websites and servers, as such targets are determined by the hackers. Many hackers do this by utilizing bot scripts, trying to bog down servers by uploading information, driving fake traffic, bots engaging in website content and so-forth.

Personally, I do not believe the primary purpose of a DDoS attack is to uncover, delete or steal valuable information. Most importantly, I believe the main purpose of a DDoS is just that, to deny services. DDoS attacks are a bit more complicated, in my opinion, in comparison of a hacker just stealing information. A DDoS is more planned and complex, likely involves a group of hackers that know what they are doing; not 'spraying and praying' for information by hacking into root folders.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Nothing on my end as of yet. Haven't received any alerts from our provider.

@craigh - you hearing of anything?

Good deal.

Jeff, I am not sure of your background, but if you have not checked out Cloudflare (biggest DDoS protection site IMO, free), I would highly encourage. https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/applicationservices/ for purpose of here at DealerRefresh.

Also - Jeff, I appreciate you allowing me to join this board as a member. Hope to provide free digital advice, resources, etc. as I can. You know we all love unsolicited advice. But no, many topics on this board pertain to my volunteer role at Grow with Google. Again, yes I have an agency but being an active member without too much pitch, if any, helps me understand my clientele's needs, etc. Always here to serve both you and your members as I can for free.

*No affiliation on my end, or agency end, to Cloudflare. Just good protection for any individual that has a website.