• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google+ ...are you on it yet?

So far I like it. It merges the private conversations and sharing with friends with Twitter like ability to follow and comment on people who aren't mutual connections.

Facebook has a feature called Lists. You were able to group people and share only specific information with those lists. The down side is that those lists were cumbersome to curate so very few people used them. Google+ duplicated this functionality and turned the list process into something as easy as dragging and dropping folks into the right category. So, if highly granular sharing is your thing, you'll like Google+.

Its real strength will stem from the mobile app. Sharing photos and videos is extremely easy. Once they open up the invites I hope to get enough friends on here to use Huddle which is a real time group chat feature.

It's too early to see if business will embrace it. It doesn't have Facebook's Business Page features but with the Local Business Center (Google Places) I can see them integrating that data into the service down the road and branching out to check-ins (formerly Hot Pot), reviews, etc... .

Right now it's not a Facebook killer. Like the others in this thread I don't see it unseating them as the champion of social networking. But it's Google's best attempt at social so far. Just try to ignore Buzz, Latitude, Wave, etc.... :)

The biggest barrier (and I realize that it's only in limited preview) is an easy way to connect with friends. I only have a few because there's only a few using it. It's pretty frustrating to search for people when maybe only 1%-3% of the people that you know are using the service.

I don't know enough about it yet but have been campaigning on our vendors to +1 our sites. (Out of fear I guess:dunno:) Maybe someone can explain how +1's show up to individuals... if you're like me you have under 10 contacts in Google. They're all in my phone or on Facebook and Twitter. I never use my gmail contacts.

Overall I like the idea. It would be nice to see breadcrumbs from others who I normally wouldn't take the time to dive into conversation with, but who would undoubtedly have excellent recommendations on 1000's of different topics...

I don't know enough about it yet but have been campaigning on our vendors to +1 our sites. (Out of fear I guess:dunno:) Maybe someone can explain how +1's show up to individuals...

Google+ and Google's +1 are two different things, but I have a feeling they're going to be closely intertwined as Google+ picks up more speed. Google+ is a social media site. Google's +1 shows in the organic and paid Google SERP when someone in your social network interacted with a result on your SERP.

It is too early to say what the overall engagement will be, but it isn't a bad idea to have +1 buttons on your website now.

Lots of positive Google+ chatter from the internet-aholics. To keep me focused, from a business perspective, I keep Google+ off my radar until it "flies or dies".

Mike Bluementhal, a Local SEO guru that I follow writes:
Google+ And Local | Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
"I have been playing with Google+, Google’s new social network and I am impressed. Not by the fact that it is a decent social product, which it is, but by the fact that with it, Google has managed to add a social layer to all of their products in one fell swoop in a way that could very well ease the way to broader adoption by the many users of their search products."

Compelling info, but us early adopters are info-sluts. IMO, there's a big thick wall for Google+ to cross. I sense the biggest obstacle for Google+ is "Social Fatigue" (aka "how much more shit can I stuff on my iphone and read while I am driving?")

IMO, Jury is still out.

Last edited: