• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google+ ...are you on it yet?

I heard someone recently call themselves an early adopted of Google+? WTF???!!! They've been on it three months instead of two ...

I'm curious to see where they take businesses, in comparison to FB. Outside of that, it's not worth my time to invest.

I know I may have come off as anti-Google recently, but that isn't really the case. I stumbled upon this list of failed attempts by Google to parlay web 1.0 dominance and thought it interesting enough to post. Nobody can deny the success of Google and their ability to "fail forward," but do you think +1 will eventually make this list?

1. Google X:
Google X was a version of the Google home page modeled specifically for Apple Mac users. The bottom of the page read, “Roses are read, Violets are blue. OS X Rocks. Home page to youâ€. Its hard to imagine Google crafting anything to Apple today, unless it’s a court document, and in fact Google X only survived for one day.
2. Google Catalog:
Google Catalogs, a search engine for print catalogs, languished in Beta from 2001 until 2009, when Google put it out of its misery, finally realizing the uselessness of a product that puts catalogs online, when only people who can’t use the Internet still use catalogs.
3. Web Accelerator:
Google’s downloadable Web Accelerator (a proxy server used to reduce web access time via caching technologies) had some terrible bugs and privacy issues. Let’s start with a simple example; it prevented users from watching YouTube videos. Google closed it in 2008.
4. Google Video Player:
Google Video player was a standalone desktop application for playing Google video files. Google hasn’t fared well at entering a market late unless it offers a clear improvement on existing products, and it turned out the world didn’t need yet another video player with no real improvements.
5. Google Answers:
Google’s answer to Yahoo Answers, literally. Google employed paid researchers and asked users to bid for a response to their questions. But users, it seems, preferred their information free, even if free isn’t always best.
6. Google Wave:
Google Wave was supposed to reinvent email; bringing old-fashioned electronic mail together with new technologies like instant messaging and social media. It launched to huge hype, but users found it overly complicated and it died shortly after.
7. Wiki Search:
SearchWiki turned Google Search into a Wiki – logged-in users could move results up and down or delete results they didn’t like. Searchers can still start a result to mark it as a favorite, but the other wiki options went to the chopping block. Let’s see if they will be reintroduced in Google +1 updates.
8. Google Audio Ads:
Google Audio Ads, a radio-based advertising platform, which would offer the powerful metrics of search-based advertising to broadcasters, however, measuring performance proved difficult which led Google to close it down in 2009.
9. DodgeBall:
Google bought Dodgeball; a mobile search networking services in 2005. The founder went on to leave Google and form FourSquare, now the leader in the location-based check-ins and social location advertising. Dodgeball closed down, FourSquare is booming, and Google has recently launched a new mobile app; Latitude. However, Latitude does not seem to be gaining popularity and is now being overshadowed by Facebook Check-In as well.
10. Jaiku:
Jaiku is to Twitter as Dodgeball is to FourSquare. Google purchased the micro-blogging services in 2007 but It failed to take off. This was not the first time in history that a market leader was missing the next technology bus.
11. Google Notebook:
Google notebook was a browser based application that allowed users to cut, paste, save and share text, links and images from the web to personal “notebookâ€. This functionality has been replaced by Google Docs.
12. Google Page Creator:
Google page creator was a tool to help users to create web pages, which were hosted on Google’s Servers. Google canned the product in 2008 to focus on Google Sites (not the first time it suffered from feature overlap).
13. Google Buzz:
In another attempt to keep up with Twitter and Facebook, Google launched this social network as an opt-out service for Gmail users, many of whom reacted angrily. Can Buzz overcome privacy concerns and slow growth? With the integration of Google +1, only time will tell.

This list is taken directly from Failed Google Projects | NYC and FL Advertising Agency | Klim Media

Their business pages will be a big determining factor on their longevity and value. Although they'll also need a huge shove in user base to support even superior services over Facebook. With only 20+ million users, they have a long way to go to catch up to Myspace even.

Their business pages will be a big determining factor on their longevity and value. Although they'll also need a huge shove in user base to support even superior services over Facebook. With only 20+ million users, they have a long way to go to catch up to Myspace even.

The FB Biz pages forced every biz owner to open a personal account and then a biz account (so lots of people were forced into it), then the small biz pushed to get friends therefore spreadign the word of joining FB. Google needs that asap.

Reactions: 1 person
It is too early to say what the overall engagement will be, but it isn't a bad idea to have +1 buttons on your website now.

We added the Google+ button to our dealer.com web site very early on, I would say at the end of June I think. So far we have +3 on our home page, nothing shocking. I have +'ed about 6 pages so far when I was signed into Google, but its not like the LIKE button to me. Being a FB user for a while now the LIKE carrys more weight with me as a reader or someone invovled in social. I had a conversation with 8 friends recently having a few beers, all my age (38) and more than half said, "WTF is the +1 button", but yet they all use the LIKE button on a regular basis.

Anyone else getting Google+ spam from peeps I don't know adding me to their circles?

Joe, it was either Alex or Ed Brooks that sent me an invite, I joined July 12th, but I haven't used it cause like Jeff said, social fatigue, and as you have said, how much more social shit do we have to follow. I am not going to keep up with FB, Twitter, and then add Google+, its too much and Google+ to me is too redundant. I will wait for the biz pages to come out then see.

I have 18 people in my circle ("circles" just put this image in my mind of the teacher telling us to get in a circle cause its story time), I created 1 circle for "automotive biz friends" and the other is "friends". So far I have had 118 people add me to their circle, and I dont know who 90% of these people are and the other 10% I know through here! Most all are car biz people that just saw me in other cirlces and added me cause I guess they need more people in their circles for story time. So is that really engaging?

I am just not sure if everyday mainstream people want 2 social networks like FB and Google+ to keep up with and then add twitter? I have stuck with FB, and probably will because Google+ is just not all that to me so far.