• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How are your phone skills?

Hi Jerry and everyone....

I'm Carey the one who you're listening to on these calls. I have to tell you that I'm super happy to have Jerry helping me out here.

Carey, thanks for posting and for allowing the community here to listen in on your calls and awesome progress.

AWESOME STUFF!!

Jerry, as usual..thanks for continuing on with this thread while offering great tips and advise on how to handle phone skills.

I have all my dealers using Jerry's coaching services and my sales people continue to get better and better. Still waiting on the perfect score but I feel one might be around the corner soon!

Hey Jerry,

You wanted to know how both of these calls worked out. Here you go:

Call #5 - Ron emailed me after I emailed him his confirmation and he asked me again if the car had Nav and Paddle shifters lol I told him yes. Then he later that day filled out a new internet lead asking if the car had Paddle Shifters and Nav....I called him back and told him that I promise him that it does and that I even walked out to the car myself and checked! Btw, I did try to get a deposit from Ron, but he didn't want to give one. I said "well if the car is sold by the time you guys drive here, then it just wasn't meant to be and we'll help you with something else."

Btw, I met Ron and his wife, Cathy today and they were super duper nice. I went out to see Ron when he was looking at the car and I introduced myself and I said "see I promised you that there was Nav and Paddles." He shook my hand and said "you did an excellent job, thank you."

They bought this afternoon and the car will be delivered this friday or Monday.

Call # 6 - Elaine was a hoot. I really had a good time talking to her. She called me back twice in the day and emailed me a few times back and forth. I made the appointment for Monday at 7pm with her. We just kept joking back and forth in our emails. And YES, Elaine gave me a $1,000 credit card deposit over the phone.

My sales guy asked me today what price I quoted her and I said "nothing, just the price that was on the web." He asked "she didn't ask for a better price?" I said "we didn't really talk about price, we were just laughing and joking." He was like oh, ok. Eventually she did with the sales guy though. I left today at 6pm and she was in the middle of faxing in her insurance info and license and credit app as she agreed to the price and to buy the car. She was coming in at 7pm this evening.

And for those folks that tell you that you can't get credit card deposits over the phone, I don't know what they say that. I took 1 from the gentleman in West Virginia (and he bought the car) and I took one from Elaine (and she bought) and I took another one from a customer today (and she's claiming she's going to buy...and I believe her because she had her insurance guy call me today.)

I feel myself asking more now that I knew it can be done ;) And even though Ron kinda flinched at it when I spoke to him about it....I mean he is 3 hrs away! Most of the other customers seem happy that I suggest it so no one else buys the car.........most of these BMW folks that call in generally have a very good idea what they want.

Ok thanks again for the great feedback! I hope my results helped!

Here's a look at Carey's performance using our one of a kind reporting feature: Carey's Monthly Performance Report

If you would like to take a look inside our scoring system, you can do so here: Phone-up Ninja Reporting

I deleted the information for logging in since I do not want to make it easy for competitors to build what I've built. I hear I am being viewed as a "profit center conquest" by one such competitor. If you would like to learn more, please e-mail me and I'll gladly give you a demo.

Thanks

Last edited:
If anyone would like to learn more about the process we've used to train Carey, We'll be doing 4 web sessions over the next seven days. These sessions will focus on the following:

1. Understanding why the phone will always rule!
2. Why so many fail on the phone.
3. How to properly handle a phone-up.
4. How you can turn your entire team into Phone Ninjas!

These sessions generally last about 50-60 minutes. 90% of the material is educational and not about us trying to pitch you on a product. During the last 10 minutes of the session we will show you the tools we've developed to help your employees improve their phone skills.

Here are the dates and times of our next sessions:

Friday, September 3rd at 11:00 PM EST
Tuesday, September 7th at 10:00 AM EST
Wednesday, September 8th at 11:00 PM EST
Thursday, September 9th at 10:00 AM EST

If interested in attending, please send me an e-mail: [email protected] Seating is limited, so this is a first come first serve basis.

Here is call 7 with Carey: CALL 7

Most of these calls we've listened to have come from Cars.com and AutoTrader. These calls are generally tougher to handle since they can come from all over the country. So getting an appointment can be very difficult. So for those of you out there spending big money with sources like Cars.com and AutoTrader, you're wasting your money if your salespeople are not prepared to handle these calls when they arrive. Carey has done a really nice job with most of these calls and she's been selling a lot of vehicles outside her market. And for those of you who don't remember, Carey is brand new to the business and has never sold vehicles before.

Carey, please give us an update on this call.

Thanks,

Hey Jerry,

I called that guy back and he said he'd let me know today if he was interested. It's between that car and another vehicle he said. I called him today but he didn't answer so I left him a voicemail.

Btw, speaking of non-local folks, I sold a car over the phone to a guy from Canada, even got is credit card deposit and we were going to transport a 7 series to him. He since cancled because he couldn't get approved for financing, but he was "sold" over the phone and gave a deposit. (That car was sold very quickly to another customer that I spoke to on the phone and got in here. When he walked in I said "oh yeah remember that 7 series you wanted? He said yeah.....I said "it's available again....guy couldn't get financing."

So he bought it and he's picking it up today :D

And yes, Jerry is corect, I've never been in the car business and to be quite honest with you, I still don't know much about cars lol I just kind of learn a little bit as I go and wing it, etc. With the double clutch transmission I've never seen anything like it before but I had to take pictures of it....so I asked the detailer to help me and he showed me how to drive it and we drove around the parking lot frontwards and backwards so I could get the hang of it (that's how I was so familiar with this car on the car.)

BTW, my counterpart here is getting better too just by listening to me on the phone! We crushed our goals again last month....as a matter of fact our dealership had the best month last month then they've ever had.