• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I print the QR codes on our window stickers for our used vehicles and it takes the user to that vehicle's page on our mobile site. That is the only advertising we do for our mobile site and we get traffic from it. I think its a good way for people to get more info when browsing your lot after hours. Will everyone use them? Certainly not! But some people will and the more ways we can offer customers to contact us, the better.

A great question is how are you using the QR code? If it is only being used to redirect the customer to a mobile wep page then yest they are boring and not very useful most of the time. However, if you use it when tied into some kind of mobile application such as a frequency reward system they can have some value and traction. A customer that is being rewarded for using it will use it.

E3 Show Offers Evidence Augmented Reality Will Kill QR Codes

"This year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) didn’t introduce much revolutionary new gaming technology, but it did demonstrate that Augmented Reality (AR) apps are about to go mainstream - and they may spell doom for QR codes."

This is awesome technology! It would be great to place a video ad inside of a picture, but this doesn't exactly take the place of QR does it? For one, the QR code is a que that there is something to see beyond the graphic. Additionally, QR codes can take you to a web page or provide contact info that stays with the person who shot the code. It can be altered by the person who created and the end user gets the updated info in real time. For our purposes, I see the QR code sticking around. For entertainment purposes, AR is certainly the future. With that being said, I still don't take the time to do anything with QR codes ;)