• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

We added QR Codes to our lettermail 4 or 5 years ago (against my preference at the time).
It was a slow start, but we've definitely seen more engagement now than pre-covid. It's nothing crazy, but people scan more often than they type in a URL on a printed letter.

We're also using them at hosted events, so customers scan the QR code to register themselves for the campaign, which adds them as a prospect to the dealership automatically. Now that everyone understands how they work, it's become a really convenient tool - customers tend to have autofill on their phone so when they scan, they click 1 button to autofill all their contact info and hit submit.
No need for autofill when you use lead capture QR codes (shameless plug) - our QR codes automatically capture name, phone and more without the customer having to enter in any data. Just tap and go.

Stoked to see you guys using QR codes on your mailers! You should see how well they work on your inventory. ;)

I added QR codes to our vehicles on the lot which takes them to The VDP. We have moddest scanning now, but I'm always catching people scanning the codes when I happen to be looking out on the lot or watching customers..

My hope is that they are able to scan and get on our website to see the car at its best (in our photos) so that when we are closed (like on Sundays when dealers in Wisco are closed) it gives them some connection to the car.

I added QR codes to our vehicles on the lot which takes them to The VDP. We have moddest scanning now, but I'm always catching people scanning the codes when I happen to be looking out on the lot or watching customers..

My hope is that they are able to scan and get on our website to see the car at its best (in our photos) so that when we are closed (like on Sundays when dealers in Wisco are closed) it gives them some connection to the car.
Awesome!

Jason - make sure you have a clear call to action on the code so that car buyers have a reason to scan. "Learn more about this vehicle" or "Scan for live market price" things like that.

Are you doing your QR codes on a window sticker or on a hang tag?

If you want QR code hang tags you can print yourself (you just need blank tags to print on) that also give you detailed stats/reports on scans, popular vehicles, etc. and also a way to easily create and manage QR codes for free, let me know. I'm launching a free QR code system for dealers that will create, print and manage QR code hangtags.

We added them to our window decals we printed internally a number of years ago.
Was before iphone camera app could scan on its own and most were bewildered what they even were unless you lived in Asia.
Moved away from that and instead people text in the stock number which returns all the info/url etc.
Beauty of that is we actually know who they are and can become a lead.

Was before iphone camera app could scan on its own and most were bewildered what they even were unless you lived in Asia.
Moved away from that and instead people text in the stock number which returns all the info/url etc.
Beauty of that is we actually know who they are and can become a lead.
Thats great!

This was our experience until Covid - now everyone knows how QR codes work and scan rates are way up.
We use them in printed letters sent to customers - they just open the letter, scan the code and they're on their landing page.
We've also used them on vehicles a few times, but they have to be big and obvious in order for customers to use them.

Jason - make sure you have a clear call to action on the code so that car buyers have a reason to scan. "Learn more about this vehicle" or "Scan for live market price" things like that.
For promotional things, "Scan to Unlock Your Savings" type messages tend to drive curiousity.
On vehicles and such, definitely include some sort of CTA so they know the QR code is from your store (not the OEM tagging the vehicle) and serves a function for them.

For promotional things, "Scan to Unlock Your Savings" type messages tend to drive curiousity.
On vehicles and such, definitely include some sort of CTA so they know the QR code is from your store (not the OEM tagging the vehicle) and serves a function for them.
While I like this CTA, beware that if they "scan to unlock savings" and the price is the same or there's no offer, then you've created a negative feedback loop and no more scans will happen from that car buyer. ;(

We use a positive feedback loop and once car buyers scan our code, they will scan other vehicles as well as they experience the benefit and utility that we bring to their car shopping experience. Building trust and value is key to make these programs a success.

Price is the number one reason car buyers will scan a code. A distant second is vehicle history or specs.

While I like this CTA, beware that if they "scan to unlock savings" and the price is the same or there's no offer, then you've created a negative feedback loop and no more scans will happen from that car buyer. ;(
Agreed. We use this specifically in our letters/postcards and on marketing materials, not anything that is VIN Specific.

For example, we'll send a letter to customers who are past due for service and potentially lost souls.
In the letter, there's a QR Code and a URL they can visit to see their personal savings - the QR code is unique to that customer.
They scan, it welcomes them by name and offers them the discount or promotion that customer qualifies for.

Reactions: The QR Code Guy
Agreed. We use this specifically in our letters/postcards and on marketing materials, not anything that is VIN Specific.

For example, we'll send a letter to customers who are past due for service and potentially lost souls.
In the letter, there's a QR Code and a URL they can visit to see their personal savings - the QR code is unique to that customer.
They scan, it welcomes them by name and offers them the discount or promotion that customer qualifies for.
Brilliant! ;)

I'm loving that this thread has lived long enough to take advantage of the now omnipresent nature of QR codes.

Craig, the above is an excellent example of a personalized and relevant outreach with a low friction CTA.

It's come up in this thread before, but what if the scan could prompt a messaging thread (SMS, FB, the like) to offer the discount or promotion in a conversational manner?

Goal...move that CTA to setting an appt with a bot while they are in the thread.

Who "owns" the conversation doesn't necessarily need to depend on an integration.