• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

It's come up in this thread before, but what if the scan could prompt a messaging thread (SMS, FB, the like) to offer the discount or promotion in a conversational manner?

Goal...move that CTA to setting an appt with a bot while they are in the thread.

It's very possible. We do QR codes on business cards now that automatically open a draft email - I believe tel and whatsapp links can work the same way on most phones. Bot chat is even easier because it would just be a URL to a live chat platform.
Typically, our landing pages have a promotion description/graphics, a CTA to see your offer, a CTA to update your ownership status and then 1 or more CTAs that drive the traffic to wherever the dealer wants it (could be appointment generating, could be view inventory, etc). The extra friction is used to measure their engagement and tell the dealer what level of intent the customer showed when they got there, but I can see an argument for directly linking to the appointment being even more successful.

It's very possible. We do QR codes on business cards now that automatically open a draft email - I believe tel and whatsapp links can work the same way on most phones.

They can

Bot chat is even easier because it would just be a URL to a live chat platform.

You could go this route, but you'd be at the mercy of how well that chat works...and how well it moves data to the next piece of the journey

Typically, our landing pages have a promotion description/graphics, a CTA to see your offer, a CTA to update your ownership status and then 1 or more CTAs that drive the traffic to wherever the dealer wants it (could be appointment generating, could be view inventory, etc). The extra friction is used to measure their engagement and tell the dealer what level of intent the customer showed when they got there, but I can see an argument for directly linking to the appointment being even more successful.

I may be introducing a new category, but as a consumer I feel open recall outreach needs work.

OEM sends a letter, remedy isn't available, I move on with my life...never even getting to the point that I consider a specific dealer to do that recall.

Here is a flow I thought up on the fly for dealers to build a recall appt pipeline.

1. Dealer builds audiences around open recalls...desirable make/models, remedy available, remedy not available
2. Mailer goes out, CTA is a QR to "subscribe for remedy updates"
3. QR goes straight to an SMS opt-in and open thread directly to that dealer
4. Dealer gets first dibs on when that recall can be fixed, sets the appt, uses the thread to confirm/reschedule if need be.
5. Appt shows, gets you recall money, you take a shot at an appraisal

1698944742955.png

Improvements
- Bail on the link, use Conversational AI to actually schedule/confirm/reschedule the appt
- Platform automatically pulls recall data and matches to customers in CRM.

Shameless plug- With Vonage AI Studio, platforms could reference databases to feed conversations that leverage Natural Language Understanding to carry the conversation.

I have been talking about adding QR codes to our inventory on the lot for 2 years now. Hate that I haven't gotten it done. Seems too obvious to get on your guests' phones. We use things like GA to track what's happening on our website and with customers showing up after hours more and more, why wouldn't we want to have access to some of that data? I feel lazy for not having executed this by now.

Reactions: joe.pistell
I have been talking about adding QR codes to our inventory on the lot for 2 years now. Hate that I haven't gotten it done. Seems too obvious to get on your guests' phones. We use things like GA to track what's happening on our website and with customers showing up after hours more and more, why wouldn't we want to have access to some of that data? I feel lazy for not having executed this by now.
It really is easy and can be very cheap (cost of paper or stickers).
I know a few dealers work with providers for this, but QR codes are free and reporting is better in your own GA as well.

It really is easy and can be very cheap (cost of paper or stickers).
I know a few dealers work with providers for this, but QR codes are free and reporting is better in your own GA as well.
Yeah, we know how to do it ourselves we just haven't figured out exactly where to put it yet and haven't pulled the trigger yet for some reason. Our hang tags are pretty full, so I'm not sure we have room on it. I hate the idea of adding something else to the car.

Not sure if this is a simply a gripe for service schedulers or not, but points to my mission to get QR codes to lead to setting appts by a bot in messaging threads.

I got a $99 oil change mailer for my wife's car with a QR on it. Scan took me right to an xtime scheduler on a webpage and it was pretty seamless the way we're used to.

This prompted me to test an online scheduler for another dealership I have FAILED to get an appt for a recall multiple times. Their systems are just fundamentally broken and no writers are willing/able to pick up the phone.

My hunch was right, their online scheduler still has bugs and I gave up.

Moonshot Ideal Flow
1. QR scan takes me immediately to an SMS thread (maybe FB Messenger)
2. Bot asks me to choose from the services I want, schedules the appt...extra credit: can look up the recall and confirm there is a remedy
3. SMS reminders/confirmations follow for the appt...can reschedule if need be.

Otherwise, I'm stuck with this....

1700076654663.png 1700076675813.png

Reactions: craigh
2. Bot asks me to choose from the services I want, schedules the appt...extra credit: can look up the recall and confirm there is a remedy
This is the hard part. Getting access to appointments is one thing. Getting access to appointment capacity is another thing.
Being able to write an appointment back to the DMS is a whole other thing on top of that.
Although it's now possible with some DMS systems, it's still quite a big barrier to entry, often due to massive costs.

Reactions: Matt Kelley