• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Since DR is the only forum NOT sponsoring a conference this fall...

Define preferred vendor?

NADA looks at your previous history and the longer you have been exhibiting, the better your booth placement. I see nothing wrong with this by the way. My first year I had a horrible location. Last year I had a great one.

At the end of the day it is about money. He who spends more has more clout! I will also tell you that it's about building a good relationship with the conference host. What can you offer that will provide for a better conference?

Look at it from the eyes of the person organizing the conference.

Jerry,

I wasn't talking about placement. I'm sure that other things play on that like for example committing early, etc.

There are 2 issues:

1) Companies like True Car with a $200M investment can control a lot of what attendees see.

2) Companies with similar interest. Ralph works for Wolfinton, who owns a lot of other companies like for example Business Rater so BR becomes the "preferred sponsor". Two things here: One is that dealer rater WILL pay more than BR to participate at the same level, and second it looks to dealers that not only BR is a very successful company Vs. Dealer rater since they are the ones sponsoring the event, etc (you understand all the implications). Sure enough Carmercial is also sponsoring the event (also owned in part by Wolfinton).

So all this is fine with me, but so there it is for my comment about "preferred vendors" that pay less than the others. Don;t fool yourself: We pay for part of these to have their booth.

Better understanding of what you are saying now Yago. That's why I won't advertise in a certain Magazine. They make it look like a legit magazine, but in fact its main purpose is to promotes companies that are controlled by said company. So yes, one could make the same assumption. I see where you are coming from.

Some day I hope to see a conference that is controlled by vendors (assortment of the current players, large and small) that is available for a minimal fee for all to attend. Vendors are billed equally for cost associated with the event. Non profit all the way. I would say NADA is the closest thing to this now.

As far as long term: I see dealers starting to go to out of industry events like SXSW, Pubcon or even WordCamps as these events are where "new" information is being shared. In most cases "techniques" and information has been out for 6 months before being used in the automotive industry which makes it old news.

Mike,
I couldn't agree more however SXSW & Pubcon are only for EXPERTS! If SEO & SEM are your game then have at it, everyone else stick to Automotive conferences.

Last Pubcon event I attended was a blast. My table at the first speech included guys from Southwest Airlines, Amazon, Zappos, Green Mountain Coffee, and Allstate!

I feel like I know my stuff, but Pubcon was another level. Def was a little less cocky after meeting those boys and gals! :rofl:!

Better understanding of what you are saying now Yago. That's why I won't advertise in a certain Magazine. They make it look like a legit magazine, but in fact its main purpose is to promotes companies that are controlled by said company. So yes, one could make the same assumption. I see where you are coming from.

Some day I hope to see a conference that is controlled by vendors (assortment of the current players, large and small) that is available for a minimal fee for all to attend. Vendors are billed equally for cost associated with the event. Non profit all the way. I would say NADA is the closest thing to this now.

I'm glad that you and I agree on something. I thought for a second that you were a total loss! :)

Anyway... besides my poor jokes that was my point.

Mike,
I couldn't agree more however SXSW & Pubcon are only for EXPERTS! If SEO & SEM are your game then have at it, everyone else stick to Automotive conferences.

Last Pubcon event I attended was a blast. My table at the first speech included guys from Southwest Airlines, Amazon, Zappos, Green Mountain Coffee, and Allstate!

I feel like I know my stuff, but Pubcon was another level. Def was a little less cocky after meeting those boys and gals! :rofl:!

If you are looking for a real advantage SEO wise I would definitely recommend Pubcon. While 1000's of other dealerships are hearing one thing, you can get the freshest information with only a couple dealerships around. Word of warning though, Pubcon is focused more on the programming/design side, so make sure you have your computer out to take notes! You can then decipher them later.

Hey Kelly,

I KNOW there are plenty of folks reading this post that would LOVE to be getting that note. ;)

Will you do a follow up after attending both? I enjoy your posts and I think you'd have a very entertaining and informative perspective on the similarities and differences.

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to see members who work at dealerships speak. I'd make an exception for Alex considering his background. I'm personally not interested in hearing vendors. I'd spend more money of it was dealership employees speaking. I like it raw.

Blake - If thats what you're looking for, that's what we have at DSES this year (again)

As a dealer, I spoke at the previous two DSES event. I've been helping lead the efforts to get even more dealers present; expect to see nearly a dozen dealers present this year. No pitching from these guys. Raw. Just like you like it.