• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
They all suck & I know why.
I've run a lot of sites and it seems like no one ever rates high across the board.

I was Senior Director of Innovation at DDC. There was a genuine desire to innovate, but there are 4 parts that cause the lack of innovation.
  1. No Shopping Cart in auto. (shopping cart performance can't be argued with)
  2. Car dealer's rabid demand for lead gen above all else, coupled with web vendors inability to connect the invisible car shopper to a sale (see 'No Shopping cart')
  3. Mega vendors are filled with Technologists that genuinely believe the dealer is evil and they can build the system to drive them out of existence.
  4. OEM compliance is important, but, it'll suck the bandwidth out of an org.

Last edited:
They all suck & I know why.

I was Senior Director of Innovation at DDC. Dealer's rabid demand for lead gen above all else, coupled with web vendors inability to change the dealers singular focus is what causes so little change in our space (& toss in OEM compliance handcuffs)
And who could blame them? Again, why should a vendor spend extra time, money, and effort into building a site when they can just copy and paste what 80% of dealers want and are happy with? It's really not their fault. It's our fault.

When I looked for a new site, I thought nothing about lead generation. I wanted the most modern site possible that was fast and clean and gave the customer the most information possible without any clutter; especially on mobile. I only made one decision that had anything to do with getting leads and that was just making the lead form default over the prequalify form in the attached. Motive is working on changes the text to something other than "Confirm Availability" for me. You will also note that there isn't a single 3rd party product on the new site. It's all baked in.

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: joe.pistell
Reymore:

I'm on a 2021 M1 macbook pro 16" and so have a fairly good monitor.
I'm having trouble reading the left version. I wear glasses (progressives) but the right side is much easier to reach since the font is a little bigger. I still like the flat dealer name (left) over the right.

I also like the super clean look of the VDP cards. HOwever, Dolan seems to use the space more efficiently.

1706944220494.png

Dolan needs some help.
It keeps asking me to login to cloudfront.
Also, it looks like it's loading 1 js file per car.

I'm an evil technologist, but I want to help make this situation better. I think dealer websites have been stuck like this is because the devs can say "It SEOs great". Well, Ford + Spring Branch should put you on the first spot for a search automatically.

@jon.berna Add lighthouse scores to Lvlup
ReferenceL Just to be fair, Kayak.com has a 36 score and Zillow has a 43.

Team Velocity 55.
1707063354585.png

Nabthat (I think) 16.
1707063770745.png
(from dealer testimony page Nabthat - Award Winning Automotive Website Platform & source code: <html lang="en" nabthat=""> )

DealerInspire 32.
1707064213863.png

AutoGenius 56
1707065389351.png

ansira (was Sincro, was CDK)
1707066687764.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jon.berna
That Honda dealer ... I don't know what to look at.

UNLOCK OUR BEST PRICE™
Are they serious?
Their best price. notice the language. It gives me bad vibes.

I'm getting some better numbers for the performance on those sites but still, just horrible. Blog sites with those scores would get penalized by google. Heh! The power of ad money ... covers up this mess.