• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Advice on Craigslist ad posting services

Joe, Thanks for pointing that out. when i click "see your listing on google maps" on my google places account we come up as used car dealer, car dealer, auto & truck dealer & car detailing service. we had separate accounts for our locations, then their merged, then their not, then one is under review, then it's not. very frustrating. If you search my name both come up. but if you search used cars tinton falls nj only one comes up. but they are both identical. don't know what to do at this point.

oh and great ideas for cl posing!

Jesse,

The CL visitor wants to see the car your selling, if you make a CL landing page or a dedicated CL system, try not to kill the goose while your looking for MORE golden eggs ;-)

HTH

Joe,

the reason why we started putting banners with links is to get customers away from CL and into your website. We believe that people jump too much from listing to listing so we wanted to put a stop to that. Good looking banners with links made CL a great referral site for our customers, at no or very little detriment to phone calls.

Joe,

the reason why we started putting banners with links is to get customers away from CL and into your website. .

WOW, what a novel idea! </sarcasm>

Yag, look around you dude, you're in DealerRefresh, that idea was fresh in 2002. Re-read the reply, I was talking about how to handle the CM shopper once they leave CL and land on "our property".

2011 is at hand, it's a new decade... are you ready?!

Joe,
....We believe that people jump too much from listing to listing so we wanted to put a stop to that. Good looking banners with...

Yag,

Let me help you with the real challenges of our new decade (in our space). We'll all be focused on our Message and it's Yield. Our internet shopper is a finite audience and waste is our enemy. Each and every set of eyeballs looking at our work is precious. We will be bringing science and art together to put forth the message that resonates with the shoppers mission. The new decade will be bringing Spit Testing and Multivariate testing into center stage.

Personally speaking, history tells me that UGLY SELLS, but this GEOcities look maybe the exception. If ever there was an banner add made that is the opposite of the CraigsList culture, you've made it.

craigslist-header-2.jpg

The good news for 2011 is MY OPINION does not matter!!!
Your visual cesspool that you call a banner ad should be spit tested to improve its yield to improve your clients ROI. If this is the message that the dealer wants AND split testing of several ads tells us that shoppers click this ad more than other ads, then its this ad we use.

Game. Set. Match.

Last edited:
WOW, what a novel idea! </sarcasm>

Yag, look around you dude, you're in DealerRefresh, that idea was fresh in 2002. Re-read the reply, I was talking about how to handle the CM shopper once they leave CL and land on "our property".

2011 is at hand, it's a new decade... are you ready?!

Sorry, maybe I miss understood what you were taking about.
I know that we are on DR, but sometimes basic things gets missed. For example I'm amazed how many people talk about ghosting in this forum. We do 300,000+ postings per month on CL with no ghosting, so for us that is an old issue.

Yag,

Personally speaking, history tells me that UGLY SELLS, but this GEOcities look maybe the exception. If ever there was an banner add made that is the opposite of the CraigsList culture, you've made it.

That was just one example on how we use the links, we handle over 500 dealers in CL so we have ugly banners too :)

We do a lot of work on getting the right key words, areas, and we play with multiple banenrs on each account. Our system takes 60 banners per dealer and they are selected on the fly at the time of posting. For example that banner may be used close to the Seattle Metro area where that dealer is trying to push late year models but on a different area further away like Tacoma we may put a "$250 gas card" instead.

Traditional sites like autotrader only allow you to run "one way", your inventory goes up with your logo and that pretty much it.

We see CL as a dynamic board where we run multiple campaigns at the same time. As a quick and simple example we run Sound Ford in one area, we run tem as Renton ford in another, and then we run them as Sound National Lending (spifi departmet) all over the place.

It is hard to show things properly in a forum, some things I dont want to show period :)

To keep things in perspective about your comment "If ever there was an banner add made that is the opposite of the CraigsList culture, you've made it". In the car biz what counts is the sales, and this dealer got pretty close to (I dont want to write the numbers but I will disclose over the phone if you are inetersted) double the calls they get from Autotrader for half the cost. The next player in my market would be Cars.com but they didnt do very well for this dealer either. Traffic to the site, only organic and buyatoyota.com where on top of CL as a referrer. Autotrader provided 1/3 the click thrus CL did.

Last edited:
Hello,
Just wanted to let everyone know though I haven't read all the posts yet that Homenet has a relationship with Cargigi and at some point since Homenet has been purchased I believe that Cargigi will be helping in some capacity to manage at least some of Homenet's accounts. I don't know the specifics but they have been in talks about that.

From what I can see (I work for a separate entity next to them), Cargigi is putting a lot of effort into expanding the amount of inventory that can be posted, and working with Craigslist and the other sites. Apparently craigslist changes things around frequently, and it requires some expertise to keep the listings posted in a useful manner.

I'll get in trouble if I say too much so feel free to contact me with any Cargigi questions and I will direct you to the right person.

Best regards,
John Pelley
AVA Dealers
[email protected]

We do 300,000+ postings per month on CL with no ghosting, so for us that is an old issue.

That was just one example on how we use the links, we handle over 500 dealers in CL so we have ugly banners too :)

So 20 posts per day per dealer? Seems low? I can help you get to real volume if you need....

@avadealers I am excited to see which direction cargigi will be going, should be interesting...