• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone know how to set up a Google Alert for your Google Places Page?

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a google alert for my google places page or any type of alert when someone leaves a review on my Google Places page. I can't figure out how this is done. Any pointers or advice???

To answer your actual question about google alerts... Make sure you are logged in with your gmail account then go to Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content and follow the drop downs. Setup an alert on your dealership name and whatever else you want. As soon as google pics up a new page that mentions that dealer name it will email you. Goodluck!

Loun, I believe Rick is onboard with setting up Google Alerts. What he's looking for is an alert for Google Places page specifically. Google alerts only alerts you when your designated keyword / phrase is used. This is where Google alerts misses the mark on review sites. It's rare a consumer spells out the name of the dealership with they are on the corresponding review page to that dealership.

Rick is asking for something here and I'm determined to figure this out.

Alex mentioned our old trusty friend Update Patrol. I've been using this program for years now to track changes on pages. Take some time to set up but it's a solid tool. Once you get to know it, there are some other great possibilities. :)

Thanks guys for your replys. I do have google alerts set up. I was just trying to see if anyone knew how to set up an alert for your places page. I have gotten a few reviews for my page but the only way to check/monitor the reviews is to actually go to it. What I was trying to figure out if there was a way for google to send an alert to you when someone leaves a review on your places page. Kinda like Angieslist and citysearch does. From what I can find online there is no way with out having to purchase 3rd party software to monitor it.

@ Alex- Thanks for that link. I'm going to check out the free version first. I looks really cool.

I find it kinda funny that the only way to check/monitor your reviews on google is to actually go to your places page. With Google alerts it can pick up if someone mentions your name out in BFE in cyber-land in a Third World Country but it won't alert you if someone leaves a review on a page that google host.

Just had a thought. Do you think that google indexes the Places page reviews? Probably not if google alerts can't pick up the review.

Last edited:
Ive been playing around with my feed43 account - this take a page and turns it into an RSS feed. If we could get the google places page into an rss feed, then we could do a few things around alerts. Unfortunately I'm hitting a brick wall with this.

I'm sure - or one would hope, by the time you would figure out or pay someone to figure out how to monitor your google places page, google would offer some type of alert for new reviews.

Until then, it's back to Bookmarks.

Howdy Folks. Google Places aren't indexed pages in Google so Google Alerts cannot track changes on them. If you are using Google Alerts primarily to get notified of dealership reviews, you should use regular expressions to have a 'catch all' of your dealer name. Here's a regular expression that means - THIS term OR this term for my own name and company (dev basu|devbasu|poweredbysearch|powered by search|poweredbysearch.com).

Alex mentioned our old trusty friend Update Patrol. I've been using this program for years now to track changes on pages. Take some time to set up but it's a solid tool. Once you get to know it, there are some other great possibilities. :)

Thanks for pointing that program out Jeff :thumbup:

It is definitely one handy tool.