• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

VinSolutions issues

I have to say after reading this that I am quite shocked at all the problems people are having with Vin. We've been with Vin for a year and a half and it is a great CRM/ILM. All software programs I've used over the last 14 years managing Internet departments have had issues come up and they still do and always will. I've found support to be very good and the constant updates to be quite refreshing. It may be that I've used so many other programs that had so many more issues that I find the relative lack of problems with Vin a vast improvement. I also think many of the issues are due to the dealer end not fully setting up the program correctly or understanding the need to take some of the set up on their own shoulders so it will work as the dealership wants it to. I set up Vin and am constantly adding, subtracting, changing processes to do what I want the system to do and it works great.

Last edited:
Our number one issue is performance, this thing CRAWLS... sometimes it is sooo slow that it literally is unusable. I must get 5 calls a day from our sales guys complaining that they can't use VIN due to speed. Our sales rep told us that our connection was too slow, our internet connection is fiber optic and runs a dedicated 10Mb synchronous, with 7Mbs minimums on speed test.

We're in the same boat on speed on a 10Mb fiber connection and VIN behaves utterly independent of our actual connection speed or utilization. There are days it coasts and days it crawls, but I always seem to have slightly better luck using it from home on my 15Mb cable connection or from my old 12Mb fiber connection.

I've been able to get around some of the little pain in the ass moves from screen to screen being slow by caching directly to RAM in Firefox, but it also breaks a few random little things here and there - mostly in the website management areas. If it counts for anything, when I used it with IE9 from home it absolutely flew; caching to a PCI-E RAID0 SSD helps, though.

Sharrett,

We are dropping Vin right now as a direct result of the same problem you described. We may have to accept an inferior product with better service. That's the sad part. We went from ILM to full version about 8 months ago and were told it had full service functionality at that time. We need our advisors to be able to follow up and pull ahead business just like our sales team. They promised me this would be live Sept. 13th and at this point my reps are dodging my phone calls, etc. because they can't deliver. I just can't sit back and get strung along anymore. I have to stand up for our business. We spend to much money with them to be treated this way.

Sharrett,

We are dropping Vin right now as a direct result of the same problem you described. We may have to accept an inferior product with better service. That's the sad part. We went from ILM to full version about 8 months ago and were told it had full service functionality at that time. We need our advisors to be able to follow up and pull ahead business just like our sales team. They promised me this would be live Sept. 13th and at this point my reps are dodging my phone calls, etc. because they can't deliver. I just can't sit back and get strung along anymore. I have to stand up for our business. We spend to much money with them to be treated this way.

I will send you a private message to see if I can help figure out what functionality you are looking for. We have lots of different service department functionality.

Andrew - be sure come update the DR community with your results.

I know of several dealers that have the same issues with VIN (Sharrett). Due to Matt and his former/not so former ways of taking advantage of the forums by promoting and shameless plugging, I usually get an earful from VIN users thinking that DealerRefresh is "aligned" with VIN. Which we of course of NOT.

So hold VIN to the fire and get your issues resolved.

Remember the old adage "Don’t put all your eggs in one basket"?

I have listed a couple of online dictionary definitions to affirm my recollection of what it meant.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don't_put_all_your_eggs_in_one_basket
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_'Don't_put_all_your_eggs_in_one_basket'

What I remember most is from my old man. If you put all you eggs in one basket the truth is as follows:

"It may look like it has enough room for all your eggs". "It may look like it is built strong enough to hold all your eggs". "It may even have some fancy flowers that your mother likes."

"But at some point that basket will break because you tried to put too many eggs into it and you find out it really wasn’t as strong as it looked."

"Or...They may start spilling over the side because it could not hold as much as you thought"

"Your mother isn't going to remember the fancy flowers on the basket. She is gonna ask....."Why are half the eggs broke"!?

Food for thought: If you have one company that you put the weight of your CRM, Desk Management, Price Analysis, Website, Data Distribution, and Inventory Management all into their hands.
You better make sure it big enough and strong enough to hold what you put into it.

What is up with Vin Solutions. I have had nothing but issues, dodged phone calls, lies from my salesperson, takes a week to get a call back and seems like every other employee at vin takes off for long weekends. We moved from dealer.com for a more superior product but to tell you the truth, I am having a hard time partnering with this vin solutions company and sorta wish i never left dealer and made the move to vin.

I have asked for over a month to hear from my dealer advocate and I can't get a call. I've been cc'd on emails to her and she still doesn't call. I'm stuck dealing with support and that's a 50/50 chance i'll get someone who know their product or someone who can learn from me (one month into it).

VIN SOLUTIONS - I HAVE REACHED OUT ON YOUR FORUM AND NOW I AM DOING SO HERE. I AM ONE MONTH INTO YOUR PRODUCT AND ALREADY I'M DOING RESEARCH AS TO WHERE I WILL GO WHEN OUR CONTRACT IS UP. YOU NEED TO GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER AND START MAKING ME FEEL LIKE YOU WANT MY BUSINESS. I'M TIRED OF WAITING FOR MY SO CALLED DEALER ADVOCATE TO CALL ME. GET ME ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE SHE MUST BE TO BUSY TO DEAL WITH ME. YOU PRODUCT IS GOOD ( PLENTY OF FLAWS BUT NOTHING'S PERFECT ) BUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!

What is up with Vin Solutions. I have had nothing but issues, dodged phone calls, lies from my salesperson, takes a week to get a call back and seems like every other employee at vin takes off for long weekends. We moved from dealer.com for a more superior product but to tell you the truth, I am having a hard time partnering with this vin solutions company and sorta wish i never left dealer and made the move to vin.

I have asked for over a month to hear from my dealer advocate and I can't get a call. I've been cc'd on emails to her and she still doesn't call. I'm stuck dealing with support and that's a 50/50 chance i'll get someone who know their product or someone who can learn from me (one month into it).

VIN SOLUTIONS - I HAVE REACHED OUT ON YOUR FORUM AND NOW I AM DOING SO HERE. I AM ONE MONTH INTO YOUR PRODUCT AND ALREADY I'M DOING RESEARCH AS TO WHERE I WILL GO WHEN OUR CONTRACT IS UP. YOU NEED TO GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER AND START MAKING ME FEEL LIKE YOU WANT MY BUSINESS. I'M TIRED OF WAITING FOR MY SO CALLED DEALER ADVOCATE TO CALL ME. GET ME ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE SHE MUST BE TO BUSY TO DEAL WITH ME. YOU PRODUCT IS GOOD ( PLENTY OF FLAWS BUT NOTHING'S PERFECT ) BUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!

Jesse, I believe your concern is all based around our reporting of the PBX/call tracking which you aren't happy with and we discussed on our community forums. We have talked about this a few times and told you that we plan to change it in the future. If you have other issues please let me know.

Sharrett,

Andrew, I believe the exact service task functionality you are looking for is being released next week. It is currently in testing and is ready to be released.