• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Internet Lead Follow-up

MidwestFord

Full Sticker + Prep
Feb 24, 2012
First Name
Brian
I would like to get everyone’s opinion on internet lead follow-up. Right now we have one salesman handling our internet leads. I have him on the following schedule for follow-up:

Immediate email when the lead comes in with a follow-up call the same day.
The first week one email a day with calls on days 3 and 5. Next 21 days customer gets one email a week with a call week 2 and week 4. We then contact once a week with a call or email (his choice) out 90 days.

He thinks this is too much and it may push customers away. In the last month and a half only one customer asked to not be contacted.

Is this too much? Would anyone share their follow-up schedule?

Thanks, Brian

Reactions: 1 person
Good post. I would love to directly answer your questions BUT cannot make recommendations without more information.

Does your Internet Dept. answer the phone ups too?
How many leads come in?

For starters, the dealership that make quality contact FIRST will get the leg up. Many on DR can speak to the effectivness of prompt responses that exceed customer requirements.

For example:
DAY 1 should include a quality first response email INCLUDING a personalized video. Video is not difficult and only takes a minute or two. All you need is a decent webcam and windows movie maker. Editing takes a moment before posting to a private link on Youtube. This will allow you to set yourself apart from the guy down the street. As a bonus, you can track if that video has been watched and the customer will know who you are when you call (10 minutes).

If you they do not open the video email right away you can leave a message letting them know that you have provided them with a personalized video email to introduce yourself. Talk about personal attention! Customers love feeling like they have your full attention!

Then you can follow with a second email & phone call later in the day to confirm receipt of information.....FYI, do not forget to include what that customer has asked for in your contact attempts.

Day 2-21 should be followed up on a schedule that is benefical to the customer. Do not send template email after email as they offer little to no value to the customer. I would suggest rich, engaging attempts that include a call to action. Do not discount the GM email/message on day 3 as a way to uncover non-response customers' objections.

Finally, a long term follow up process that will follow the customer for life. In today's digital arm's race a well thought long term process can gain you future sales as well as service customers.

I am not an expert in follow up process. I will admit to doing just what you are doing here- asking for help. Reading these forums and asking engaging questions will net you a wealth of information and knowledge.

Reactions: 2 people
Our BDC would send an email and call up to three times a day for the 1st week., then start to tail off after that if there was no human interaction.

But to be honest, we were sending one hell of an email! Our thinking was that, with the effort we put into that initial correspondence, we had absolutely earned the right to speak to that customer. We didn't too often have to worry about not speaking to customers. They wanted to speak with us after the value we had provided them via email.

Just a little twist there when you're thinking about the process...

Good post. I would love to directly answer your questions BUT cannot make recommendations without more information.

Does your Internet Dept. answer the phone ups too?
How many leads come in?

For starters, the dealership that make quality contact FIRST will get the leg up. Many on DR can speak to the effectivness of prompt responses that exceed customer requirements.

For example:
DAY 1 should include a quality first response email INCLUDING a personalized video. Video is not difficult and only takes a minute or two. All you need is a decent webcam and windows movie maker. Editing takes a moment before posting to a private link on Youtube. This will allow you to set yourself apart from the guy down the street. As a bonus, you can track if that video has been watched and the customer will know who you are when you call (10 minutes).

If you they do not open the video email right away you can leave a message letting them know that you have provided them with a personalized video email to introduce yourself. Talk about personal attention! Customers love feeling like they have your full attention!

Then you can follow with a second email & phone call later in the day to confirm receipt of information.....FYI, do not forget to include what that customer has asked for in your contact attempts.

Day 2-21 should be followed up on a schedule that is benefical to the customer. Do not send template email after email as they offer little to no value to the customer. I would suggest rich, engaging attempts that include a call to action. Do not discount the GM email/message on day 3 as a way to uncover non-response customers' objections.

Finally, a long term follow up process that will follow the customer for life. In today's digital arm's race a well thought long term process can gain you future sales as well as service customers.

I am not an expert in follow up process. I will admit to doing just what you are doing here- asking for help. Reading these forums and asking engaging questions will net you a wealth of information and knowledge.

Thanks Grant! Our internet salesman takes internet generated phone ups. We are a small dealer. Right now we have a little over 40 leads month to date. I may allow him to control the day 2-21 follow up with what he deems necessary.

What is a 3 day GM email?

Brian,

I don't think you're asking for too much follow-up. 2 calls a day in the beginning and leaving 1 message... is pretty standard. It helps to make sure you try at different times.

Something that helped us is to set a standard follow up process like: 1-3 days (2 calls and 1 email, 1 voicemail), day 5 (1 call/email), day 7 (1 call/1email), day 9 (1 call), day 15 (1 email), etc . Going out as far as 180 days (or whatever your state laws define).

But also making it part of the process to thoroughly look through the lead and notes, update information in the CRM, and change the follow-up accordingly. The customer's who don't respond, still may be interested, but are overwhelmed or busy or whatever. People are buying more after 30 days, so sometimes they are just starting the process. Creating avenues to start up the volley at any point is extremely important. Also, giving your guys the permission to cancell and reschedule calls/emails is key. Just make sure they fully understand the rules and responsibility that goes with that.

I've dealt with this gripe with people on my team at times as well. The thing is... this is the process and this is why we do it. And it seems like you have a lighter amount of traffic, which allows really hands on responses and maybe you don't have as many customers who don't respond that need that automated schedule, but it is good for the ones that fall through the cracks.

And a GM email is HUGE! It is quite simply an email from a Manager's point of view. "

My name is _. I am the _ Manager at __ Dealership. I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business. I hope our Internet Team has taken great care of you and you're finding all the information you need to make your decision. If you have not, I sincerely apologize and will personally help to ensure you recieve the experience you're looking for. Our goal is to make your car buying experience as simple and comfortable as we can.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time,

Thank you again,

Sir John Smith."

I'm no expert either, i've just learned and am sharing bits of my experience in this industry. Good Luck!

Brian,

I don't think you're asking for too much follow-up. 2 calls a day in the beginning and leaving 1 message... is pretty standard. It helps to make sure you try at different times.

Something that helped us is to set a standard follow up process like: 1-3 days (2 calls and 1 email, 1 voicemail), day 5 (1 call/email), day 7 (1 call/1email), day 9 (1 call), day 15 (1 email), etc . Going out as far as 180 days (or whatever your state laws define).

But also making it part of the process to thoroughly look through the lead and notes, update information in the CRM, and change the follow-up accordingly. The customer's who don't respond, still may be interested, but are overwhelmed or busy or whatever. People are buying more after 30 days, so sometimes they are just starting the process. Creating avenues to start up the volley at any point is extremely important. Also, giving your guys the permission to cancell and reschedule calls/emails is key. Just make sure they fully understand the rules and responsibility that goes with that.

I've dealt with this gripe with people on my team at times as well. The thing is... this is the process and this is why we do it. And it seems like you have a lighter amount of traffic, which allows really hands on responses and maybe you don't have as many customers who don't respond that need that automated schedule, but it is good for the ones that fall through the cracks.

And a GM email is HUGE! It is quite simply an email from a Manager's point of view. "

My name is _. I am the _ Manager at __ Dealership. I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business. I hope our Internet Team has taken great care of you and you're finding all the information you need to make your decision. If you have not, I sincerely apologize and will personally help to ensure you recieve the experience you're looking for. Our goal is to make your car buying experience as simple and comfortable as we can.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time,

Thank you again,

Sir John Smith."

I'm no expert either, i've just learned and am sharing bits of my experience in this industry. Good Luck!

I thought the GM email was a General Motors standard email or something. Thanks for sharing that.

Here is another thing to consider....Not every lead is created equal. Not every process is pefect for every lead. With such a small lead count I would recommend really breaking down each lead. Your website leads are going to be further down the purchase process than a lead from OEM or 3rd party. Adjust your follow up methods for EACH source as well as the messages that you send.

Video is something that must be done with 40 leads to set yourself apart from the guy down the street. A manager message is critical as well. You are fine with 1 person doing the email and phone leads. 40 leads should net you 4-8 cars if managed properly. Get your process in order, train, train, and more training.....Once trained properly, focus on your merchandising and PPC/Display Marketing efforts to drive more customers to your site which will produce higher quality leads.

As far as the phone....You should consider making that a top priority. Jerry Thibeau from Phone Ninjas would be a worthwhile investment for you. He posts here often and has tons of great things to share with dealers.

Wow, I'm beginning to think that our followups are just not good enough. When we get an elead from anywhere (Our website, Autotrader.ca, Kijiji.ca etc) this is our process: I would say 50% of leads do not have phone numbers and are just emails. We get about 350-400 e-leads every month

Day 1: If there is a phone number, immediately call. If no response, send a text & email.
Day 2: Call/Email
Day 4: Call/Email
Day 7: Call/Email
Day 12: Call/Email
Day 28: Call/Email

We were thinking that even this was trying to contact people too much. We don't want to cross into the area of harassing our potential customers.

I might not have as much experience as a lot of others on here do, but I've yet to have a prospect call and say, "I was going to buy a car from you but you called me too much."

Our "2 week press" includes calls and emails on days 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 11, and 14 unless a prospect response dictates otherwise.