• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Whats Different About Your Dealerships Website that is better than others

Great feedback. Keep it coming.

Alex, I clicked on your site and it's interesting. I was always under the impression that it was best to stay away from dark backgrounds.Of all the color choices, why a black background ?

Why does a dog lick his.....no, no that wasn't the reason.

We originally went with the darker site about 2 years ago to help images "pop" better and separate us further from other dealership websites. We have developed a brand for our website that has transitioned into our traditional advertising. Instead of doing white, like everyone else, we went a different direction so customer know this is Checkered Flag.

Marketing is differentiating.

Just a thought but has anyone ever looked at autotrader, cars.com, and carsdirect.com to see what they are doing? I know it's different but seriously they spend thousands tweaking their sites and they know what it takes to convert a site visitor into a lead. Thats the goal right?

There are a few aspects, but the purposes of those websites are very different. Yeah, we might all be showing off inventory and pushing for conversion, but they're not the final shopping spot.

1.) One click access to inventory
2.) 30+ photos for every single car in inventory; custom description; copy of CarFax and 90% of the time a copy of the factory invoice of the car to see actual factory options. Walkaround video coming soon.
3.) Sales, service and parts specials in addition to standard OEM national programs.
4.) We spend roughly 2 hours a day walking through our inventory and comparing it to our competitor's to ensure all of our cars are on the money.

The one area we are struggling is in converting to online service appointment scheduling . Part of it is the integration into our website, the other part is the process involved with registering for the service.

Each automotive website vendor has their own characteristics that make them unique and give them an edge over the other. For most of us here we have all seen the platforms and their capabilities. That being said I don’t believe there is just one thing that sets successful websites apart from one another it is a combination ..Just as Alex stated in his post there is so much you can do. I do believe that the one clear characteristic of dealers that have successful websites is they all have a great partnership with their web vendor. What I mean by that is they (the vendor) are willing to try and implement new things on behalf the dealer … more over the dealer trust their judgment as well (not every request is a good one). Think of it as a marriage once the communication stops the site gets stagnant and then you start looking for new one. Just my 2 cents.

I do believe that the one clear characteristic of dealers that have successful websites is they all have a great partnership with their web vendor. What I mean by that is they (the vendor) are willing to try and implement new things on behalf the dealer … more over the dealer trust their judgment as well (not every request is a good one).

:iagree: our entire site is a product of this!

The one area we are struggling is in converting to online service appointment scheduling . Part of it is the integration into our website, the other part is the process involved with registering for the service.

We have pushed and pushed, but I think there are two significant issues at play in our case:

1. Our other local dealers have not gotten on the bandwagon, so customers are not conditioned to using this service yet.
2. The options for this (TimeHighway, XTime, UDC, etc) are not user-friendly.

What's different about http://www.actontoyota.com is we try our best to make our customers online experience match what happens when they walk in to the showroom. Integration between technologies and employees needs to be a big consideration when building and adding to your website or digital footprint. We are currently building a new site and like Alex will not be satisfied until it has the flow and feel of Acton Toyota. With the percentages of customers that visit us online before ever heading out to visit us in person it is important to have our web presence be customer friendly and employee driven as well as trained on. To personalize a website takes big time investments and is something that will continue to grow distances in competitors in the years to come.
Thanks Alex for the roadmap to website success that you layed out in an easy to understand format here, Checkered Flag's web site is already a great example of building a brand instead of just saying yes to a website salesman.