• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Video Chat - Does it make really sense .. Yet?

Like another recent topic, my new dealership was close to adding a service that provided video chat options. I was against the idea and recently had us sign up with a managed chat vendor. What will be interesting is that our owner has another dealership that DID add video chat so we'll get to compare a bit, though it's a different OEM in a different state with a different website provider. There's a lot of different variables involved but I'll try to remember to post some results down the line.

The video above suggests that video chat will "drive our dealership to me a more e-commerce and e-buying dealership." I'm not sure I necessarily want an e-buying dealership or website. I know customers enjoy seeing video of their vehicle of interest, but I don't think it needs to be live. I want to make sure that we create enough of a connection with our prospects so they'll visit us, but I don't think we need video to do it.

The other issue is the same one Jeff brings up. I don't see many people opting to video chat. That's a big step to let a stranger see you and what's the benefit to the prospect? It's tough enough to get someone to make a phone call.

Also, I have 5 females on my staff that get waived at, winked at, and gestured to by random customers walking by our office almost on a daily basis. What happens when I open them up to online video? Might I be liable if video chatting is part of a rep's job description and some random online crosses a line?

The biggest issue I have with it is not seeing or understanding the problem that video chat solves. I just don't see the need when there are plenty of other avenues for us to connect with prospects.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Good points @BHavican good insight, for sure.

I think it boils down to managed video is absolutely the way to go - if you can manage the way you market it - great. However, I go back to this... I work from home for a living and the majority of my meetings are done by video conferences. While I completely appreciate the face to face interaction of my coworkers - that won't happen on the fly with strangers. It just won't.

Also, I have 5 females on my staff that get waived at, winked at, and gestured to by random customers walking by our office almost on a daily basis. What happens when I open them up to online video? Might I be liable if video chatting is part of a rep's job description and some random online crosses a line?

I speak with a lot of dealers that have this same concern. Even for people that know how to utilize their sexuality, there's always a point where it becomes too much. There's always a creep in the bunch.

I have dealers that won't allow a photos of their sales and service team in a signature line. I believe this would be a good conversation for a new thread. So I'll stop and we can continue discussing video chat.

Video chat as dealers recognize chat today, Ed is right, not so much. But take away the chat and call it live video streaming and you have something different. Move the live streaming off the desk top for dealers and place on mobile devices and you something different than chat. Allow video to work on any device without an app or download and the use cases grow. As for value, having the live video streaming available just on the credit application page to help customers feel comfortable submitting their personal information is one practical application. (Think Amazon's MayDay Button for the credit app page.) Obviously, streaming a live walk around video is another.

Well, this discussion parallels some of the conversation we have with dealers who hope for the sales team to handle a chat conversation - HOW HAPPY ARE YOU WITH YOUR PHONE UPS? If you want to give out starbucks gift cards most of the time, then consider the potential. If you want to strangle them much of the time, now add potentially poor sound / video quality, lower-end phones that can't handle the data stream, the client's quality of digital and a few other variables into the mix. If the shopper's 3g or even laggy 4g LTE signal is spotty, it still becomes a negative experience, like the AIRBAG LIGHT being lit on their trade-in when they pick up their new car. not your fault, but still YOUR fault (in their eyes) that the value changed...

It's more like a video phone-up, so the goal should be the same; get the appointment. If it's more of a 'chat', then the goal is to get contact information. How *I* would implement is to do what we recommend and set up the dealer staff person(s) as an OPERATOR - in this case a well-spoken female (the data don't lie on gender preference studies). Provide basic information and offer to have a product expert call you as soon as one is available.

Unlike text / live message chat, the prospect of 24/7 response is not very realistic. Dealers managing chat in-house (I see data from hundreds of dealers using software ONLY in-house) typically have a 50% or LOWER rate responding to queries.

USE SKYPE or VIDEO CHAT FOR A LIVE WALKAROUND? Heck YES!!

Well, it's been over a year when I posted this question here - WHO'S Video Chatting?
How many car shoppers are going to video chat with dealership?

We even had a few vendors selling/touting its abilities and effectiveness. I couldn't resist giving Mr. @PaulPotratz a shout since he too was on the video chat buzz.

Here we are a year later - anyone YET Video Chatting with potential customers?

Hey, a lot can change in a year, and what wasn't effective 12 months ago is starting to catch on. I can go down a long list of features and service technology that was merely before it's time.

Paul never did respond to my question nor join in on the discussion. That hurt Paul! I guess he was too busy video chatting
1f609.png