• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Can used cars with top quality photos be priced higher?

...What about Transparent Merchandising?
Taking photos that highlight any apologies, scratches, dings, tears, etc.. one could say this devalues that particular vehicle, BUT DOES IT? Could this approach build enough trust through transparency that it not only has no effect on devaluing the vehicle but quite the opposite?

Yes sir! I shared this with the DR community in May 2015:

Photo Booth idea #2: Show off your dings and nicks.

In our shopper studies, Carvana biggest win was it's condition transparency. To my surprise, shoppers universally considered this a signal of trust.
upload_2015-5-4_11-3-56-png.2440

Shoppers know they're buying a used car and they assume you're with holding this info. :egads:

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
@JoePistell , oh sure this definately helps! Would be great if there is any data on customer’s removing dealers from their option list if photos are crappy….

And good used (and new) car photos are definitely all about delivering info and not style. Although I must say that the carvana photo’s I saw are uninvolving. Which makes me think why I prefer taking photos outside, but that’s another discussion I suppose.

Of course, will my job get harder when everyone is taking great photos and that’s not a bad thing, I want shoppers to benefit from this. Then there’s the time element. Many dealers (here in NL) simply don’t allow themselves the time to put more effort in their photography.

I don’t know if every shopper in Europe is doing financing at the store, but the process is more or less the same. Here it’s always the value of the trade-in and how much extra cash the customer needs to add.

@LotPop : great point on the higher asking prices for vehicles with the better presentation. It’s not just the first photo, but the amount of photos, the consistent quality and the added promotional text.

@Jeff Kershner : nice example of Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown. Showing scratches, dings, etc. is always a good thing, but it depends on the asking price I think. You want a $35000,- car to be absolutely perfect, while a $3000 car with 130k miles must have a service history and no engine trouble.

On Lexus RX photo: I like the info displayed at the top. Is that from Homenet? The banner at the bottom is a bit ‘loud’ and obscuring part of a wheel and tyre. And why not add a phone number or URL, for VSR on autotrader or craigslist?

Elmer, these 2 quotes tie together:
@uncle Joe, oh sure this definately helps! Would be great if there is any data on customer’s removing dealers from their option list if photos are crappy….

Of course, will my job get harder when everyone is taking great photos and that’s not a bad thing, I want shoppers to benefit from this. Then there’s the time element. Many dealers (here in NL) simply don’t allow themselves the time to put more effort in their photography.

I recall last year you were struggling with this. IMO, you need data to speak with conviction & confidence. Give my reply another look. It's real!! Pictures tell 1,000 words and Great Pics sell cars!!

I've come to the opinion that shoppers look at dealer websites to decide who they're NOT going to visit. Pictures tell shoppers about the quality of work the dealership creates.

Most dealer's are do'ers, they aren't dreamers. Some can't connect the expense of high quality pics to more sales & profits.

To spur their imagination, have them imagine that they've decided to upgrade their landscaping at their home. They'd look on the internet and look at pictures... Which landscaper is going to get the call?

Landscaper #1?
upload_2015-12-17_8-6-51-png.2725

Landscaper #2?
upload_2015-12-17_8-5-6-png.2724

Quality photos sell cars at a higher profit.

@Jeff: nice example of Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown. Showing scratches, dings, etc. is always a good thing, but it depends on the asking price I think. You want a $35000,- car to be absolutely perfect, while a $3000 car with 130k miles must have a service history and no engine trouble.

On Lexus RX photo: I like the info displayed at the top. Is that from Homenet? The banner at the bottom is a bit ‘loud’ and obscuring part of a wheel and tyre. And why not add a phone number or URL, for VSR on autotrader or craigslist?

Yes, I use the feature in HomeNet for the overlays.

Great ideas.

As you start to add more integers the font becomes smaller. Therefore I keep it straight to the point. I utilize other slides or areas for her phone number and URL. This was just a quick example.