• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Online price negotiation

Dmytri

Green Pea
May 8, 2017
First Name
Dmytri
Hi everyone! Expert advice needed.

I'm working on one concept right now and want to make a survey for car salesmen and management teams to get some feedback. I would appreciate some help with a question for the survey I`m working on.

My sales experience is not that long – just a little bit over a year. But one of the first thing I've been taught – when dealing with customers over the phone (or online chat), do not try to sell the car or discuss the price over the phone; schedule an appointment, bring them in and do negotiation in the dealership then. And that makes sense, because why would you give your best price if you don't know how strong are customer's intentions to buy the vehicle right now.

My question is what can be those indicators that can give you a bit better understanding of customers intentions and make you to negotiate the price over the phone/online? I'm talking only about brand new vehicles.

For example, I'm more ready to give my best price if asked over the phone if:
- customer is ready to provide a deposit (eg.Credit Card information) and secure the vehicle he wants to buy;
- is ready to provide his contact information (full name, phone number, email etc)
- customer knows exactly what he wants — car, trim and features he gets in the vehicle;
- customer says he's coming today to finalize the deal if I give my best price;
- customer did a test drive of the same vehicle recently.
- he's buying a car for himself (not shopping for a friend or family member);

Some of the indicators are stronger, like customer's readiness to provide a security deposit; some are weaker but still can say a lot. If customer doesn't want to provide me even with his phone number, email etc, why would I give him my best price.

I know every situation is different but in general what are those indicators that can make you at least consider the possibility of going into price negotiation online or maybe there's nothing at all that can make you negotiate the price online?

Thank you!

Good questions.
To me bottom line is this.
Any question they ask, answer... Best price, Quote for trade etc..
As someone else will ..
Ill have that whole deal done before they set foot on Lot..

Yup. Stop playing games. Answer the question, and be ready to justify the answer. Be consultative, and know how to ask for the business. After a few minute conversation where I've answered all questions, part of my pitch about why to buy from me was reiterating what just happened: I was honest and open, and if that means something to you, stop by and lets do business.

Reactions: Salete