• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Turn Online Traffic Into Offline Customers
Retarget previously anonymous website traffic with a custom direct mail postcard delivered to their home within days of visiting your site.

http://mobilecpm.upsnap.com/direct-mail-retargeting

It's brilliant and creepy. Pretty sure it's illegal up here in the North and every browser is doing it's best to block this behaviour, but in the meantime its a potential gold mine to know this information.

They pay cell phone app companies to install tracking code in their apps so that they can get your real location and see where you spend your days and nights. Then they associate that with the WIFI that the phone is using, get that IP address and then link to every other indication of that IP. Soon enough they know every device and person in that household and office and can market to you everywhere.

Many free phone apps make their money this way - the data is incredibly valuable.
The privacy laws in the US are a joke - the country wants to let any corporation buy and sell anyone's information, including personal location and health data. It blows my mind that the whole country isn't up in arms about this, but I guess they've got a distraction or 2 going on :D

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Companies like Oracle are going all in with buying Consumer Data so they can cross-reference any slice of an individual's data and match it to the rest. On the plus side, it helps marketers with attribution so it might lead to some of the snake oil being exposed. But marketers definitely have an ethical responsibility to keep in mind as we explore future technologies.

Reactions: Alexander Lau