• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How much pricing information do shoppers need before coming in?

Mar 17, 2011
First Name
Ryan
Enough data has been shared over the last several years to prove that displaying a discounted price from the MSRP on a new vehicle online yields more showroom traffic and sales, though often less leads. We’re already past that argument. Surprisingly, though, another debate is rearing its ugly head.

The decision as to whether or not email a discounted price on the first response is still hotly debated.

With that said, the call-to-actions on your SRP and VDP will determine what information you first offer, making this a no-brainer.

Whether it is a little or a lot is determined by the needs of the customer, not the desire of the dealer. Addressing price sooner rather than later can win you both the price-driven and the price-conscious.

Avoiding it earns you nothing.

So, what say you? How much pricing information do shoppers need before coming in?

For more on the subject, read Joe Webb's entire piece on the DealerRefresh Blog.

At my dealer group, I had most of the CTA's on the VDP set to open a price discussion. My area was full of software engineers. I knew what conversation they wanted to have, so we made it easy.

First emails? Reiterate the discounted price on the VDP, and review any additional ways to save them money (rebates, etc, aged unit yada yada), and build value in the store and yourself.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
At my dealer group, I had most of the CTA's on the VDP set to open a price discussion. My area was full of software engineers. I knew what conversation they wanted to have, so we made it easy.

First emails? Reiterate the discounted price on the VDP, and review any additional ways to save them money (rebates, etc, aged unit yada yada), and build value in the store and yourself.
Useful! Understand your demographic and succeed. No two are exactly the same.

Enough data has been shared over the last several years to prove that displaying a discounted price from the MSRP on a new vehicle online yields more showroom traffic and sales, though often less leads. We’re already past that argument. Surprisingly, though, another debate is rearing its ugly head.

The decision as to whether or not email a discounted price on the first response is still hotly debated.

With that said, the call-to-actions on your SRP and VDP will determine what information you first offer, making this a no-brainer.

Whether it is a little or a lot is determined by the needs of the customer, not the desire of the dealer. Addressing price sooner rather than later can win you both the price-driven and the price-conscious.

Avoiding it earns you nothing.

So, what say you? How much pricing information do shoppers need before coming in?

For more on the subject, read Joe Webb's entire piece on the DealerRefresh Blog.
The customers are getting the pricing by visiting a plethora of sites anyway, so why not give it to them in great detail? Let them spend that time on your site. MSRP for a car today isn’t going to happen like it used to so why not go after the 80% in the middle by answering the question they’re really asking? “Will this dealer be honest with me and will they be honest with me right out of the gate?” That’s who wins. Talk about the USAA rebates, bring up the Quarterhorse Association rebate, you never know what someone qualifies for. Plus, keep in mind, 70% of all calls to a dealer aren’t about price but availability. That tells us they know the price but they don’t know if it’s on the lot or not.