• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What do Ron Burgundy and Jalopnik have in common?

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
It sounds like the setup to a good joke... the punchline, however, is a punch to the gut!

Remember this creative series of ads featuring Will Farrell as Ron Burgundy supporting the release of the Durango? There are a ton of these, but this one is one of my favorites:

Fast forward five+ years to today and Jalopnik is running an article that effectively offers the same commentary.

https://jalopnik.com/whoever-created-the-dealer-ads-for-these-kia-stingers-m-1827476178

vgroer1zzqrgpyrh8z73.jpg

"Seat Back Pockets! No way...I don’t know about you, but that is always on the top of my list of must-have features."

xnhjcv3tjpjn9gtzedlf.jpg

"Holy crap, you are telling me I can put stuff, inside the doors? What kind of futuristic wonder machine is this?"

and my favorite:

nemtncx7up6f8euipxqf.jpg

"Frankly, I don’t know if I can believe that a car in 2018 has power locks, windows, AND mirrors."

Merchandising matters in a competitive market!

I'm no expert, but it seems like these are good questions to ask regarding online merchandising:

What does the customer really care about? What makes this car unique? How can I tell a story that differentiates this unit from all of the others in the consideration set? Does this comment add value or just add noise? Is there a process in place to walk the digital lot daily? What tools and resources can I tap into to make my merchandising more memorable?

What do you think?

*disclaimer: I don't know if the text above is supplied by the dealer or a vendor, and obviously Jalopnik's slant is satirical. I'm not sharing this to pick on anyone , but I do think the feedback is instructive. My opinion is that the practice of captioning certain images is great, but the captions should always add value.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner