• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Microphone Suggestion for Video Replies

ChrisR

Boss
Oct 12, 2015
Awards
First Name
Christian
Hello All,

In trying to personalize lead responses more, we have started working personalized video responses in for lead submitters.

One of the problems we are running into is timing. If a rep is trying to record a video, the microphone that is built into the web cam picks up *all* sound in the room. Especially difficult, as it is a small room, with two rather boisterous agents in there.

Trying to figure out the best (affordable) microphone option that will isolate the agent doing the recordings voice, while not picking up the agents in adjacent spots?

I haven't had to shop for mics in a while, and am not sure what specs to look at. Figure a uni directional would be better than omni, open to suggestions, or input for options to consider.

I have been using the Rode NT-USB for the past year and give it high praise. We are about to set up a new office and I'm planning to use the Blue Yeticaster Pro bundle just to see which one I like better.

A less expensive alternative is the Logitech C920 webcam that doubles as a mic and camera. It is far from the Rode and Yeti for voice recording, but it way better than what's built into a PC these days. I've been using that webcam for over 4 years. That + the Rode are what you see and hear for my side of RefreshFriday.

Reactions: ed.brooks

Thanks Alexander. Why I didn't search first, I don't know. Appreciate it, that's a good resource.

I have been using the Rode NT-USB for the past year and give it high praise. We are about to set up a new office and I'm planning to use the Blue Yeticaster Pro bundle just to see which one I like better.

A less expensive alternative is the Logitech C920 webcam that doubles as a mic and camera. It is far from the Rode and Yeti for voice recording, but it way better than what's built into a PC these days. I've been using that webcam for over 4 years. That + the Rode are what you see and hear for my side of RefreshFriday.

Alex, appreciate the feedback, as well. We have a Logitech webcam/microphone now, which is picking up too much sound. Will check out the Rode mics and see if those will do what we are looking for.

I too use the Rode NT-USB and love it for my situation -- working alone, in a quiet space. Given your situation and having the need for rejecting background noise, I would NOT recommend the NT-USB ($169). Nor would I recommend the Yeti ($100ish for the mic alone). I own both mics (the Yeti sounds great too @Alex Snyder, if you're wondering. I'm pretty sure that Joey Little still uses it).

The problem with both the NT-USB and the Yeti is they are condenser mics. These mics tend to pick up more background noise because they have higher sensitivity. The other option is a dynamic microphone such as the Shure SM57 ($100ish) that @Alexander Lau mentioned (I'd actually recommend the SM58 -- same capsule plus a pop filter). But you have to add a microphone interface to get the sound into your computer, like the Focusrite Scarlett -- that adds another $120 bucks or so AND another piece of gear.

You said you needed affordable. If I were in your shoes, I would look for an affordable dynamic USB (no need for an external interface) microphone. Without having personally owned and used it, I would think the Samson Q2U Handheld Dynamic USB Microphone might work great. You could add a boom arm and an external pop filter and still be under $75. Good Luck!

Last edited:
My personal preference is this kit:

https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-96-Studio

Have bought time and time again, for multiple recording locations. Works wonderfully for catching even the smallest of details - also has compression technology to reduce background noise and whatnot.

I'll see if I can record a sample in the coming days, give you an idea of how it sounds.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Y'all are now messing me up bad! Background noise... damnit @ed.brooks you're right :banghead:

The Rode NT-USB picks everything up. And that's fine at my house, but isn't going to work in the office. I'm now looking at the Shure SM58 or SM57 for their isolation properties mixed with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 because it can handle two mics for futureproofing. The Samson Q2U looks like a decent option as well. This shit is confusing :thinker:

@John.H I looked at the Presonus too. Also a decent option.

Most professional podcasters use dynamic mics and not condensers. The big boys (the Joe Rogans and the Gary Vees of the world) tend to use one of 3 microphones; the Shure SM7b, the Electro-Voice RE20, or the Heil PR 40 -- Dynamic Mics all. They normally pair it with a Cloudlifter Mic Activator before the interface (e.g. the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) to boost the gain and reduce the noise.

It's also worth noting that the mics above, along with the Cloudlifter and an interface will bring you in at $750 or more, and not $75.

Most professional podcasters use dynamic mics and not condensers. The big boys (the Joe Rogans and the Gary Vees of the world) tend to use one of 3 microphones; the Shure SM7b, the Electro-Voice RE20, or the Heil PR 40 -- Dynamic Mics all. They normally pair it with a Cloudlifter Mic Activator before the interface (e.g. the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) to boost the gain and reduce the noise.

It's also worth noting that the mics above, along with the Cloudlifter and an interface will bring you in at $750 or more, and not $75.

Yeah, I looked at the Rogan setup and drooled a little. Just the boom arms alone are $300 a pop.

Using the Joe Rogan Experience as the high-end model: https://jrelibrary.com/articles/joe-rogan-experience-podcast-equipment-studio-setup/

Let's talk mid-range. That's where my budget is pointing and here's where my head is currently at. Using B&H because you can't trust Shure purchases on Amazon:

Shure SM57-LC
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
Blue Boom Arm

• :light:
Yeah, I looked at the Rogan setup and drooled a little. Just the boom arms alone are $300 a pop.

Using the Joe Rogan Experience as the high-end model: https://jrelibrary.com/articles/joe-rogan-experience-podcast-equipment-studio-setup/

Let's talk mid-range. That's where my budget is pointing and here's where my head is currently at. Using B&H because you can't trust Shure purchases on Amazon:

Shure SM57-LC
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
Blue Boom Arm
My advice, swap in the Shure SM58-LC Vocal Microphone (same mic capsule plus a spherical pop and wind filter) in place of the SM57. Back in the day -- a day a LONG time ago, but these Shure mics have been around for decades -- back in the day when I was miking a different band every night, drums and guitar amps got miked with 57s, vocals were miked with 58s with the bass drum getting an RE20.