• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Where is Amazon going with this?

Jan 3, 2019
Awards
First Name
Marc
I've been following this for quite a while now, I'm really wondering what's they play behind this... How it's going to take form.

Amazon is not aiming to be an information center only, as we all know.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicles/b?ie=UTF8&node=10677469011

storefront-banner-desktop._CB453820322_.jpg

I have absolutely NOTHING to back this up, but my assumption is that they are going to eventually buy out a struggling listing company of some sort and turn it into the "Amazon Auto Buying Network" or something of the sort.

I can't imagine them starting completely from scratch.

I hear Cars.com may be for sale :cool:

That's exactly what came to my mind when reading this. I think the survey question should read something more along the lines of...
"How far will Amazon get with selling vehicles online?

And weren't they trying to go down this path in 2016?

And wouldn't an acquisition of a service like Vast make more sense? It's not like they need the "traffic" that a listing site like Cars.com would provide.

More likely Amazon will go the route they did in the grocery business - acquire a major brick and mortar and then integrate concierge services.

Keep in mind, Bezos' interest in automotive is more on the investment side right now into startups like Rivian which will benefit Amazon at the fleet level around EV and autonomous tech for delivery purposes.

That's exactly what came to my mind when reading this. I think the survey question should read something more along the lines of...
"How far will Amazon get with selling vehicles online?

And weren't they trying to go down this path in 2016?

And wouldn't an acquisition of a service like Vast make more sense? It's not like they need the "traffic" that a listing site like Cars.com would provide.

- It would have a lot in common with the Zappos purchase in 2009. They didn't need the traffic, they needed the loyalty Zappos had built with its customers. Not sure how this would play in our industry.

As for the question, yes, but the list of choices would have been endless :D

I don't know about Vast, but something has to be in the cards.

Maybe we'll be able to buy some Rivian of Amazon.com in the near future?