Got any project cars?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Talking about cars we're working on is usually fun. I put usually in italics because those projects always have their down days, but the overall idea and end results are mostly fun.

I've had a few over the years and just took on another one recently. I like to define project vehicles as ones where they are specifically bought to restore and/or modify with more than cosmetics.

• 1975 Jeep CJ5 was my first
  • 1981 BMW 325 was a Spec E30 racecar
  • 1994 Toyota Landcruiser
  • 2001 Honda S2000
  • 2002 BMW M3
  • 2007 Lincoln Mark LT is the current one

Bought the Lincoln with the dreaded 5.4L tick from the left cam for 40% of book. I think it has a lifter issue and will be either replacing the engine or doing some hefty parts replacements under the hood. I hope to have it ready for mods and mountain duty before March.

I've always had a project car and a daily driver.
Sadly, they've always been the same car. After 5 years of running on hopes and dreams, I finally bought a car that starts every morning and requires nearly no maintenance.

Once the shop is done in a couple years, we'll get a Grand National and do things properly.
For now, I need to get to work and back in comfort.

If the Grand National goes well, the real dream is to LS swap a 944 so that I can have a tight car with a loud V8.
This old turd video has been my dream for years:

I had a 1993 RX-7, but I sold it to help fund my dealership.

That car ment more than the wife realizes. Multiple SCCA track events, comfy on long rides, it looked amazingly different, it had the cleanest curves of any car since it didn't have any unnecessary openings here and there, was an easy 170+mph car (not exactly stock), and god so much more. It was almost always in some type of project status like any 20+ yr old car would be. I had it for about 23 years.

I regret selling it every single day. I say to myself every week "I can't believe I sold the RX-7." I will need to get another one someday Thankfully, I sold it to a car guy I still keep in touch with! At least I know it won't be abused more than what a sports car should be.

No project cars at this time, though. Not until I get another RX-7 or a CTS-V wagon.

I have a 2007 Subaru WRX Wagon that I had a full sedan wide body conversion, and SAAB 9-2X rear "clip" conversion on. Of course, once I got it back from the body shop (2 years later), and noticed a lot of things wrong, I am debating just selling it, or put some more money into it, and make it what I intended.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Thanks for throwing your projects in here fellas.

@Mike Rod I used to run with a few badass RX-7s back in my heavy racing days. Did a lot of group drives with other S2000 owners and quite often had a RX-7 or 8 join us.

@ChrisR WRXs were the only cars that could keep up with us on the Dragon. Those things were amazing in the twisties!

@craigh the 944s run deeeeeeep at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). I looked at building one before seeing how much it cost :crazy: to keep race-capable and chose to head down the Spec-E30 route instead.

Bought the Lincoln with the dreaded 5.4L tick from the left cam for 40% of book. I think it has a lifter issue and will be either replacing the engine or doing some hefty parts replacements under the hood. I hope to have it ready for mods and mountain duty before March.

Looking at a new engine mated to some beefier headers and "quiet-yet-fun" grumbler pipe out the back. A few interior updates, a refinish of the wheels that were on my F150, and I think phase 1 of my life with Lincoln will be complete.

Reactions: craigh
Thanks for throwing your projects in here fellas.

@Mike Rod I used to run with a few badass RX-7s back in my heavy racing days. Did a lot of group drives with other S2000 owners and quite often had a RX-7 or 8 join us.

@ChrisR WRXs were the only cars that could keep up with us on the Dragon. Those things were amazing in the twisties!

@craigh the 944s run deeeeeeep at VIR (Virginia International Raceway). I looked at building one before seeing how much it cost :crazy: to keep race-capable and chose to head down the Spec-E30 route instead.

Looking at a new engine mated to some beefier headers and "quiet-yet-fun" grumbler pipe out the back. A few interior updates, a refinish of the wheels that were on my F150, and I think phase 1 of my life with Lincoln will be complete.

We bought my wife's WRX from a guy that his street dead ended at the entrance to Laguna Seca. She said no track day for me that day, Instead, we took the PCH, and yes, loved how her lowered/modded suspension WRX ate up the twisties. Friend of ours took his to the Dragon years back and had an absolute blast, as well.

Reactions: craigh
Here's my current fleet of projects/drivers/toys:

- 1964 Buick Riviera- owned since I was 16, first car I ever bought!
- 1991 Mazda Miata- the most fun car on the planet. AutoX, ripping around back roads, feels like you're doing 90 mph...you're doing 40.
- 1988 BMW 535is- because I can't afford an M5, also because the e28 represents peak BMW as far as I'm concerned
- 1988 Saab 900T Convertible- because Saab
- 2005 Lexus SC430- wife toy, but GREAT top down lux-cruiser. People either love or hate these. I hated them until I found a deal on one, once I understood what it was I came to love it.

You go ahead and try to find a logical pattern in that list, I'll wait.

Brian

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Eyetalian car diseased: 1995 gray market Alfa Rome 164 Twin Spark from Israel. Rough and intended to stay that way. Absolute gem of an engine. Happiest at redline. Still has desert sand in the crevices.
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 with Busso V6, Amazing sounds, needs full mechanical restoration from being a floor protector in the garage.
Searching for Italian car tool kit (high limit credit card and cell phone)