• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who handles your calls in a Virtual BDC?

Morgan Hardy

Green Pea
Jan 5, 2021
First Name
Morgan
A Virtual BDC is made up of certified agents, thus producing best in class results on true sales opportunities. Agents go through several training videos and quizzes to obtain their certification, and are also required to maintain that certification.

Calls should be monitored and coached using active coaching methods, just as an agent at the dealership would be. This is how you can be sure that your calls are being handled professionally and no opportunities are lost.

The team is knowledgeable in dealership handling procedures and always follow the scripts accordingly. Making sure to ask for the appointment for every true sales call!

Too often dealers struggle to hire, train and keep an inhouse BDC/Call Center moving forward. Unless you have someone at the dealership that truly manage and keep up with continuous training of their in-house agents, I say outsource. BUT outsource it to the right vendor. What makes a great call center vendor/service for dealership? That's a great question!

In my dealer days I aspired to do everything in-house. I believed we were equipped to hire, maintain, and manage any and every aspect of our business. In-house BDC, in-house ad agency, in-house _____ fill in the blank.

I was a younger man then.

From September 2007 to September 2008 I got to the office every single day including Sundays. That's what it took just from the technology and online management end. Notice that end date on the grueling schedule. The recession of 2008 wiped out most of that effort.

Fast forward to today, I would take advantage of credible outsourcing opportunities that could handle the mundane. My team would be waaaaaaay small, extremely talented, and well-paid. They would be the escalation points for the outsourced mundane work giving the fulfillment of doing the challenging work that would motivate them. A model like this would save my old dealer group money in comparison to what we were doing.

I like to think I am a wiser man than I was then.

Too often dealers struggle to hire, train and keep an inhouse BDC/Call Center moving forward. Unless you have someone at the dealership that truly manage and keep up with continuous training of their in-house agents, I say outsource. BUT outsource it to the right vendor. What makes a great call center vendor/service for dealership? That's a great question!
That is an excellent question!

Reactions: Chris Vitale
Having a Virtual BDC is beneficial to dealerships nationwide. In most dealerships, the Receptionist initially handles all the inbound calls. Making them the most important person in the equation but also the lowest paid. They are often terribly busy and are offered little to no training. In-house BDC agents are also remarkably busy handling internet leads, chats, making outbound calls and receiving the incoming sales calls. They are usually partially trained and a lot of them prefer email to phone. Various reports reflect that there are calls that are not being made, inbound calls are not being answered properly, and unlike web leads, they are the great unknown.

With a Virtual BDC, you are ensuring that your inbound calls will be answered properly every time. Between the Receptionist and in-house BDC, 60% of the inbound calls connect. Of those, 30% are set to sales appointments. Half show and half buy. Meaning you will end up spending on staff roughly 40% of what you end up grossing for the month. Using a Virtual BDC, your appointment set rate increases to 70% or higher. Again- half show and half buy. Increasing your sales and profit, while ultimately spending less on a Virtual BDC than what you would have spent on staff.

In my dealer days I aspired to do everything in-house. I believed we were equipped to hire, maintain, and manage any and every aspect of our business. In-house BDC, in-house ad agency, in-house _____ fill in the blank.

I was a younger man then.

From September 2007 to September 2008 I got to the office every single day including Sundays. That's what it took just from the technology and online management end. Notice that end date on the grueling schedule. The recession of 2008 wiped out most of that effort.

Fast forward to today, I would take advantage of credible outsourcing opportunities that could handle the mundane. My team would be waaaaaaay small, extremely talented, and well-paid. They would be the escalation points for the outsourced mundane work giving the fulfillment of doing the challenging work that would motivate them. A model like this would save my old dealer group money in comparison to what we were doing.

I like to think I am a wiser man than I was then.
Completely agree, small in-house forces, elite, perfectly trained and well compensated. It's amazing what a team like that can produce.