• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Will you buy a .car .cars or .auto extension?

Continuing from my last comment, there are other extensions that you can be just as creative with that are only $40 instead of the $3000-$50000. Such as .tech (car.tech , service.tech, nissan.tech ....) or .life (toyota.life, truck.life ...etc) You get my point. :)

I'm with you @emilymoore. Every time new domain extensions are offered, it's followed by a large campaign in hopes to find those in the crowd willing enough to pay the price.

I can't imagine any dealers, unless maybe a larger group, throwing a large chunk of money this way.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 1.20.33 PM.png

Reactions: Alexander Lau
TESTING TLD'S

Testing is currently being completed on the SEO weight of TLD's. Things are looking good! There will be info released in time. Owning Canada.Auto would be pretty interesting as a leader in the Canadian Auto Space wouldn't you say so? (It's available btw, you just need to be a public company and go through the application process) badcredit.car is available and so are so many other great domains that you could never get in a .com because someone bought them for $12 and are waiting for a 5 figure pay day that won't happen....

CONFUSING DOMAIN EXTENSIONS

Regarding the comments made about "confusing the public with a .Car" It may confuse people now, I know my 5-year-old will not even know what a .com is when she's old enough to be searching online. What does .com mean? I know what .Auto or .Car means. She will definitely know what .shoes and .purse means!!!! lol

BEING RELEVANT IS BETTER FOR SEARCHERS

Using a .tech for $40 instead of $3000 (.Auto) could be smart if you were selling a "Tech" product. "TopSpeed.Tech" tells me that this is a website for a really good CPU, not a car. "TopSpeed.Car" tells me you are giving me content based on a fast car. Google wants to provide you with the best search experience possible. EXAMPLE: www.bass.com is that a fish or a guitar??? www.bass.fish, www.bass.guitar - you get my point.

INTEGRITY OF TLD'S

The price point on .Auto's and .Car or .Cars is high so the integrity stays with the companies who should be buying Domain Extensions due to relevance. We don't want some dude who buys 100 TLD's for $12 bucks each and re-sells them back to you for 5 figures when .Com becomes less relevant. The internet is changing, AGAIN. @emiltsch made a great point earlier about owning a great domain is nice ONLY if you have a reason. I agree, Owning TO.CAR (For Toronto, Canada) or BadCredit.Cars would be an awesome industry leader domain, but until I have a relevant business plan to meet the needs of that domain, why would Google give any weight.

BRANDING IS KEY

@craigh I also agree with the article that explains your traffic isn't from people typing URL's into their browser, they are referrals or search oriented. When creating a campaign on Adwords or when doing a retargeting display campaign, your URL shows, think branding... Would you go to the URL that is www.badcreditcalifornia.com or BadCredit.Cars, On a YouTube Preroll video where 5 seconds is free, would you remember www.badcreditcalifornia.com or Approved.Auto. Again, Google wants the BEST possible experience for their customers/Searchers.

THE CHALLENGES OF CHANGE

I love this thread because it's about change and change creates adversity and challenges are healthy! Some great points made here and the reality is nobody knows what the gods of the internet (Browsers) will do. @emilymoore I think it's awesome you are doing testing. Thats the only way to figure it out! Good on you. Nobody is right or wrong because we can't predict browsers search decisions. What I do know, is that browsers will go with what the public decides makes browsing easier. Just like we have shuttles that drive people all over the city while they wait for an oil change, Google or Yahoo might decide to change the entire TLD landscape to better the customer experience. Again, it will be up to the masses.

ON A SIDE NOTE

Many manufacturers have already bought up the .car .cars and .auto domains. Many large dealer groups have also bought the domain extensions. You will see them surfacing as some already are. Id list them here but I don't want the post to be spammy!

Last edited:
It’s a bunch of fluff, IMO. Will cause a bunch of headaches. Unfortunately, there are TLD vendors out there pitching the world to dealers and are good at it and dealers fall prey to this stuff. They get talked into spending thousands on a new domain.

.com’s aren’t going anywhere and anytime soon.

http://www.nichepursuits.com/goodbye-exact-match-domains-hello-brandable-websites, etc.

The last I checked Exact Keyword Domains mean very little to SEO. It’s a lot more about branded domains. If changes to domain extensions assist in branding (I don’t think they do) in terms of helping customers remember dealers better, ok. I don’t think these are cheap, so the ROI is limited for dealers. In other words, not a good investment for them. Dealers don't necessarily need an automotive keyword in their domain name. Websites without them in there rank just fine = updated / fresh, relevant or expert content matters.

Additionally, steps would be needed to create 301 redirects. Changing successful domain names will just cause confusion. If anything it hurts SEO (albeit, according to most SEO experts domain age means nothing now).

I’ve no idea of Car Registry (3rd party, trying to attack this). They seem a little bit dodgy to me pushing these TLDs.

There are similar initiatives for .hotels, .pizza, .diamonds, .homes, etc. It seems the powers that be ICANN release them on different dates for some reason.

I wonder if google would ever even give new TLD's the time of day if this was fluff? Just a thought...https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6010092?hl=en

Studies are being completed as we speak. Before we disregard anything or assume we know how browsers decide ranking particulars, let's see where the cards fall. Fair to say? I personally love the direction. Organizing the web with relevant TLD's. Opens up a world of possibilities to innovators and thought leaders. As Google mentions in their blogs.

Awesome feedback Andrew, love the passion behind your opinions.

Interesting study!

A Car Dealership Moved to a .CARS Domain. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next

"Based on our thorough review of the keyword rankings, third party data, Google Analytics data, and Google Search Console data, we have concluded that the site did not suffer anything as a result of the move. We have observed direct evidence that the site’s overall search engine rankings have gone up. The website’s overall traffic is trending upwards since the website was moved from StlMotorcars.com to Stl.Cars. Globe Runner can independently verify that the move from STLMotorcars.com to STL.CARS was beneficial for St. Louis Motorcars as far as organic search traffic is concerned."

I wonder if google would ever even give new TLD's the time of day if this was fluff? Just a thought...https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6010092?hl=en

Studies are being completed as we speak. Before we disregard anything or assume we know how browsers decide ranking particulars, let's see where the cards fall. Fair to say? I personally love the direction. Organizing the web with relevant TLD's. Opens up a world of possibilities to innovators and thought leaders. As Google mentions in their blogs.

It's just a way for them to make more money, it's NOT going to help a website rank any better.

Did you mean Alexander / Alex? I don't see an Andrew here and thanks if you meant me. LOL! I am passionate about dealers being RIPPED off, plus there is money in keeping 3rd parties accountable for their wares and let's face it, it's pretty bad the waste out there.

It's a waste of time, money and effort.

I think its a bit early to just throw this idea away and say its a waste of money. Even more so in areas with a high saturation of dealer websites.

In my opinion its going to take time and testing to see how search engine are going to rank these extensions.

Besides, my OCD loves the ability to have things more organized with these extensions.