• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Oracle Data Cloud Launches Data Marketing Program to Help Savvy Auto Dealer Agencies Better Use Digi

Alexander Lau

Banned
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Oracle_Logo.jpg

Oracle Data Cloud Launches Data Marketing Program to Help Savvy Auto Dealer Agencies Better Use Digital Data
Nine Leading Retail Automotive Marketing Agencies Are First to Complete Comprehensive Program, Receive Oracle Data Cloud's Auto Elite Data Marketer (EDM) Designation
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...encies-better-use-digital-data-300601638.html

A little different, but along the same lines...

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/21/g...-placement-and-monetization-choices/?ncid=rss

As a vertical, we command a big share of the revenue for these companies and I'm happy to see the extra attention given.
That is interesting.. though my first question would be how much of that lift is based just on the AI deciding that the ads should have more prominent placement. Design a system that makes the ads higher on the page and you wouldn't need to do anything else.

That is interesting.. though my first question would be how much of that lift is based just on the AI deciding that the ads should have more prominent placement. Design a system that makes the ads higher on the page and you wouldn't need to do anything else.

Good question. To be fully transparent, I have never actually worked in Google's DFP. From my experience working in our O&O DMP, the results from just moving more weight to Above The Fold have been extremely varied. Sometimes running more 300x250's does better than 728x90's and vice versa. I haven't figured out any science to it yet but firmly believe a lot has to do with the creative itself. Perhaps this new "AI" has some of that secret sauce in it...

Food for thought.

We all must not give Machine Learning and AI a free pass... especially in our space where there is no shopping cart to guide scoring an optimization.

I think that is a really great point, Joe. I believe there must be a set of trained human eyeballs on every campaign to make sure actual goals are being achieved and the "AI" doesn't go off on a different path.

Food for thought.

We all must not give Machine Learning and AI a free pass... especially in our space where there is no shopping cart to guide scoring an optimization.

:iagree: It is super young too. Like you said on last week's Friday Refresh, people are a little carried away on how advanced they believe artificial intelligence to be. I think about all these different vendors who are promising AI tech as THE SOLUTION and can't stop wondering how they're going to have the insanely huge data set to feed that AI engine enough so that it learns.

Good thought Joe: free pass. Now I'm going to raise you: free pass for how long?

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
AI = TASK DEATHMATCH.
On the right, we have tasks that a dealer (or shopper) needs to get done :fight:
On the left, we have Artificial Intelligence. :fight:

Each of our boxers has a trainer/manager (i.e. an expert in their domain). The dealer manager has a highly complex operating system that hard to penetrate. The dealer manager has been at this job for decades and the AI manager knows nothing of the Dealer Manager's daily chaos.

The AI manager goes into the belly of the dealership and discovers that a lot of the tasks are highly repetitive. The manager of AI knows his fighter is a noob and he can't take on the big big tasks the dealer and the shopper wants. The AI manager observes there is a lot of guesswork in sales and marketing, far less in fixed ops.

The AI manager gets his ear bitten by the Dealer Manager as he describes the importance of the Service department throughput and how the service writers are an insurmountable choke point to the customer experience. AI manager now makes fixed ops his top concern. Both managers work jointly to create a master list of repetitive tasks and flag those that could be automated.

The AI manager is strategic, he creates a map of tasks in fixed and variable to see those that are interconnected and those that have dependencies. The AI managers goal is to create a roadmap to conquer tasks one by one, with the intent that a basket full of automated tasks can interconnect and become a fully automated AI process (text example: "Mr Smith: NEW Service Update: your car will be completed at 4:15, 1 hour before it's scheduled completion, would you like us to send the shuttle earlier or keep the same pick up time?). #BOOM

Once the task map is tested and hardened, then the 2 managers pick a basket of tasks that'll bring the highest ROI for the dealer with the lowest degree of difficulty for the AI manager. Once work begins, the AI manager fights his way up from the bottom of the map until all tasks in the basket are up and running.

How Long before AI works its way in?
Today: ChatBots* (DI Alex, and lots of FB bots).

Coming Soon?: Fixed ops solutions (like John Quinn has proposed) have to be in development somewhere??
Coming Soon?: Fixed ops: Uber-like simplicity comes to shuttle scheduling
Coming Soon?: Variable: AI should be able to price your inventory better than you can.
Coming Soon?: Inventory, AI should be able to buy your inventory better than you can.

Summary Part 1: Look for AI to take on the small stuff (that no one wants to do) and slowly creep up the org. As AI grows and matures, look for pioneer dealers to change operations & reduce prices to take share.

Summary, Part 2: On important matters, look for AI to be personal assistants to key personnel. (i.e. Warning a GSM what is wrong and why he needs to act and the potential consequences of not acting)

AI is coming, slowly, systematically, and as it matures, it should make everyone's life less stressful.

*Most chatbots are not AI

Reactions: Alex Snyder