• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

10 Ways Companies Drive Away Talent

Joe, remember that Nordsrums pays commissions. My daughter runs a Brooks Brothers store and they pay like $8.50/hr. All are part time without benefits. Dealers have, for obvious reasons, wanted to replace salespeople with clerks for years. With the average customer shopping only 1.2 stores before buying, you better have someone that can close a deal. What I have seen, especially over the last 3 to 5 years, is a weak Sales Manager group and pay drastically drop for salespeople. There are still some stores that pay salespeople well but they are in the minority. These stores only hire experienced pros and not green peas. In my youth, I had some crappy jobs. I have fried chicken, unloaded trucks at the Piggly Wiggly, strung barbed wire, hauled hay and did roofing. I would discourage any young person, entering the car business, today. Either get an education or learn a trade. I can't think of another job that sucks more if they pay isn't there.