• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

2023 average pay was $200K - 50 hour workweek

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

Dealership Salary Survey: 2023 average pay was $200K, but with 50-hour workweek​

The Automotive News Dealership Salary Survey found the average U.S. auto retail employee expected to make $200,200 last year.

U.S. auto retail employees expected to earn more than $200,000 in wages, commissions and bonuses on average in 2023, according to the Automotive News Dealership Salary Survey, nearly three times higher than what the average American made in 2022. But that big money came with a workweek in excess of 50 hours, the study found.

Auto retail professionals’ average pay was expected to reach $200,200 in 2023, down 1.8 percent from $203,800 in 2022 but still $10,000 more than the $190,200 they reported earning in 2021. Income is rounded to the nearest hundred dollars, and some figures involve results weighted for consistent demographic representation... article

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.02.50 PM.png

I think the survey participants are worth pointing out:

Automotive News said:
The online study, conducted from August through October by Research + Knowledge = Insights, drew responses from more than 1,000 U.S. dealership employees, including managers, who made up 78 percent of respondents. Eighty-five percent of respondents were men, 13 percent were women, and 2.2 percent declined to answer. The average person polled had 27.2 years in the industry.

This paints a better picture of where salespeople were:

Automotive News said:
Managers expected to earn an average of $225,000 last year, while non managers expected an average about half of that, at $110,700.

Of course, COVID:

Automotive News said:
Higher gross vehicle profits amid reduced inventory coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic boosted dealership employee income in 2021 and 2022, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.

In 2022, sales consultant earnings jumped 37 percent, sales manager income increased 48 percent, and general manager pay soared 49 percent, according to NADA’s Dealership Workforce Study, which found the average dealership employee made $103,313 in 2022.

The moral of this story is there are a lot of managers who are going to be very upset in the coming years.

ConfusAlex say "When you judge your world in 30-day increments, you are easily blinded."

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
I think the survey participants are worth pointing out:

This paints a better picture of where salespeople were:

Of course, COVID:

The moral of this story is there are a lot of managers who are going to be very upset in the coming years.

ConfusAlex say "When you judge your world in 30-day increments, you are easily blinded."
Store location obviously matters, too. When you adjust for my cost of living, my compensation is probably close. And of course, if a guy runs a 200-unit store, he probably deserves to make more than me at my 150-unit store. Either way, I feel well compensated so that's all that matters. :D

Reactions: Carsten