• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

2023 YTD Retail Averages - WOW!!!!

How in the world are people doing this????

Many are not. The average age of vehicles on the road has set a record at 12.3 years nationally and is expected to continue to rise.

This AutoBlog article: Average age of cars on the road sets a new record - Autoblog has some interesting observations.

• Western states are sitting at 12.4 years. I assume this is due to less salt exposure.
  • Montana is at 16.6 years, while Vermont is at 9.9 years. Again, that salt is a monster.
  • a record 278 million light-use vehicles are currently registered.

I have 3 "older" vehicles. A 2015 Mercedes GL350, 2014 Mercedes E350, and a bulletproofed 2005 F350. No, we aren't some weirdos who had to have 350 in every model - it oddly evolved that way. I've been trying to convert our entire engine lineup (including tractors & generators) to diesel because I want to store diesel on my property and have it delivered. We're not there yet. When it comes to vehicles, this limits the options a bit. Anyway...

I could have payments on two daily drivers. My last two cars with payments were around $500/mo. each (loaded F150 & Explorer). If I buy those same vehicles today and finance them similarly, I'd be looking at around $900/mo. each. $1,000/mo. vs. $1,800/mo. Annually, that would mean $21,600. These past 12 months have been expensive with the GL350 as it has 130,000 miles, and your typical stuff needs replacing. I estimate we've spent around $4,000 in maintenance and repairs. A normal year is less than $1,500 for all three vehicles, including rust-preventative treatments. I can argue that we are saving close to $20,000 a year not having car payments. Reliability & cost of ownership is strong (knock on wood).

All three vehicles have a decent sound system (the Ford is all aftermarket), navigation, power windows, heated seats, etc. The Mercs have moonroofs, and the GL has butt coolers. Remote starts would be nice for cold Vermont winter days. Would I love hands-free cruise control and the towing capacity of that new Ford 6.7L H.O. diesel - you better believe it! But we've got some very comfortable features that still hold up today.

My point in telling this story is that we have no need to buy anything newer. Rationally, it is tough to justify anything unless we come into a big chunk of cash (looking at you Mega Millions). With the cost of living increases, or dare I say, the bullshit word that's been mangled to a meaningless metric for some sound byte on the moronic news... inflation, I believe more people are thinking rationally. And any car guy knows a rational car buyer is a dangerous thing.

In the long term: The supply chain is improving and we will see capitalism reign by giving us cheaper cars to play the volume game again.

Reactions: john.quinn
:iagree: Autozone is on the rise.

I do some minor maintenance and repair on my cars. The Ford dealership is a lot better than the Mercedes dealership for parts availability. In fact, there has not been a single part the Automaster Mercedes has carried that I needed. And every time I checked, Autozone or O'Reilly had something suitable in stock that day. Little things: headlight bulbs, fuses, windshield wiper blades and arms, batteries, and oil filters. Automaster always had to order something... even for the E350 which is a super common Mercedes (the world's taxi cab).

I'm sure this is not common for Mercedes in all markets, but I don't think I want to own another Mercedes because of the inconveniences of the local dealership.

To take this a step further, we would buy a new Black Label Lincoln even though there are no Lincoln dealerships nearby. The Black Label is a major step up in price, but a loaner drop-off/vehicle pick-up is done whenever service is needed. I've been told they'll do this through a New Hampshire store.

Stay away from MY Mega-Millions, Snyder!!!

I'm with ya on repairs... 2012 F150 is apparently a retirement home for Gremlins.

But I'm looking at it this way -- if I keep the repairs at $3600 for the year, that's $300 per month, and there's absolutely nothing I could replace the unit with at $300 per month.

John's Auto Clinic Customer of the Month in March, May, and July.

The folks that had the means to purchase MSRP and above did so last year, often without blinking an eye, and yet this year those in need of vehicles are almost worse off with the rising rate hikes. Affordability is becoming more and more the buzzword for consumers, and yet the vehicles we purchase grow more expensive (at the base model level even), and monthly payments skyrocket. It makes perfect sense why people hold onto their vehicles longer than ever before, and why brands like Subaru dedicate advertising to the fact they have so many over 10 year vehicles on the road. Just like why "cost of ownership" and lease scenarios should be standard discussions/training for every salesperson. Even with the means, I can't recall the last time I drove a vehicle for under 6 years or so. When you find a vehicle you like, hang on to it. More and more consumers are adopting that mindset.

Reactions: Matt Holman
I'm sort of happy. I bought my 2015 Nissan rogue all-wheel drive SL Platinum package for $16,000 4 years ago with 24,000, mi on it. I basically paid half price for the vehicle in mint condition but now it has close to 110,000 mi and is still running like a champ. I'm about a year away from paying it off so as long as it keeps on going as well as it does, I won't be on a car dealer lot. Looking for quite a while. I'm hoping to get 250k out of this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joe.webb

The average mortgage payment is now $2,605. The average new car payment is $725 and used is $516. 61% of America does not have enough savings to cover a $1,000 emergency.

No wonder credit card debt is skyrocketing.