• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

An Open Letter to Customers

john.quinn

Boss
Dec 2, 2009
Awards
First Name
John
Got another one… A recent customer response to our initial email correspondence, to the tune of:
Received your quotes, but none seem to be the vehicle I seek. Please send your best price for X color exterior with Y color interior, and the car has to be equipped – exactly – with A, B, C, D & E. I have already received 4 other quotes and am looking for the best price. I will buy next week. Oh – don’t forget to include a copy of the window sticker.

Ugh.

Now keep in mind, that after receiving an E-Lead with nothing more than a Year, Make, and Model (no trim, equipment preferences, etc.), within 20 minutes we priced and emailed 3 new units and a CPO unit. And of course, they don’t answer the phone…

Double Ugh.

Wouldn’t you just love to do this, just once??

Dear Customers,

I’m sending this note to you and every other customer in the area in an effort to find the Best Customer.

If price is the most-important thing to you, please do not reply. I work hard to support my family, and I will work hard for you too and provide an excellent experience at a fair, competitive price. But please don’t expect any effort from me when you need help if I have to beat Out-Of-Town Motors’ price by $500 just for the honor of selling you a car. I’ll pass.

I’ve been in the business for many years, and have learned how to tell when a customer is lying: his lips are moving. So please be prepared to be open and honest with me. When I’m holding $100 over invoice and you tell me that Out-of-Town Motors is beating me by $1000 (even!), I know you’re full of crap – makes it harder to do a good job for you.

Remember the Golden Rule? How about treating me the way you want to be treated. Or take one from my playbook: treat others the way you’d like them to treat your Mother. Here’s a secret: you ALWAYS catch more flies with honey – want me to bend over backward for you? Go out of your way to be nice. And just because you are behind your keyboard’s ‘electronic shield’ doesn’t mean that you are free to be a complete jerk. Please see above.

Your trade is in average condition. There is nothing special about your trade (“highway†miles aren’t supposed to count??). Anything is only worth what someone else will pay you for it. None of this is “insulting,†they are just numbers. And yes, we really do need to see the trade in-person to commit to a trade-in value.

These aren’t toasters. This is a big deal!! You do need to come-in to the dealership. Do you have any idea how many customers actually buy that exact unit from their initial inquiry? Not to mention you’re considering 5 different models – you’re not going to thoroughly test them? Good luck in two months when you bought the right “deal†instead of the right “vehicle.†(How good was that deal now that you hate what you’re driving??)

I get paid by commission. It is NOT OK to work with me for a couple hours, then return on my day-off and buy the car from another salesperson. You work hard too – how much do you do for free?

It’s going to take longer than 10 minutes to sign your paperwork. Please don’t fidget and fret like a 5-year-old doing the pee-pee dance. See “toaster†reference above.

This is how I make my living – please tell your friends what a good job I did for you! Most people only open their mouths to complain. I’ll even pay you a Bird-Dog to send me referrals. And please keep my card in your car – I will help you with whatever you need over the coming years, and hopefully you’ll want to buy one of my products from me again.

If you can handle the above conditions, I want YOU to be my customer. Please send me a picture so I will recognize you when you walk in the door. Can’t wait to meet you!

Sincerely,
Pro Salesperson

:thumbup:

Since I've gotten into this industry, I've wondered if there's a way to convey that idea to the general public (or at least our customers, but one is the other). Some way that is polite, direct, and not insulting. More specifically, a way that (in general) it won't be perceived as insulting by the customer. That's a sticky wicket, friends, but it's bugged me that people have this perception of my sales reps that may have been accurate 30 years ago but is far from the truth in today's world.

Last edited:
:thumbup:

Since I've gotten into this industry, I've wondered if there's a way to convey that idea to the general public (or at least our customers, but one is the other). Some way that is polite, direct, and not insulting. More specifically, a way that (in general) it won't be perceived as insulting by the customer. That's a sticky wicket, friends, but it's bugged me that people have this perception of my sales reps that may have been accurate 30 years ago but is far from the truth in today's world.

That's a tough one! I think the only way you can change that perception is customer by customer; one at a time. Unfortunately...even if you change one customer's perception they still may wander in to another circus and fall victim to that joker who has worked his way down the street and is now sitting on the point smoking his last cigarette wondering how he is gonna score another dime bag and maybe even pay the rent.

Those of you who went to last April's Digital Dealer Conference were treated to a Dave Anderson lecture. Our dealership enrolled in his management training program (DVD's) and I really like what he has to say. He speaks a lot about culture within an organization. Those of us who are in leadership positions have a great effect on that culture and that culture is what the customers see. I would definately recommend getting a hold of some his material....Don't worry Dave, you don't have to send me a bird dog fee!

That letter was a hoot!!! It hit on a ton of the frustration we all feel!! Don't forget to keep your heads up though!! I think most of us in this community are devoted to our proffession and committed to doing what it takes to stay on top. The great news is you can almost smell the pent up demand from this recession...in other words...THE GLORY DAYS ARE COMING!!!:banana2:

I love this post and of course we all wish we could say this to a customer. But I would like to submit something that seems to work, sometimes.

If I have a customer who is demanding or giving fabricated numbers, I use the following line..

" I appreciate wanting to shop on the internet. I certainly do not want too waste your time by giving you prices that are not our best price. We keep everything completely transparent with no hidden fee's. I am certain you would appreciate that. "

"I understand you want the best possible trade value and I am certain you have kept your vehicle in excellent condition. There are plenty of websites that give you plenty of information on the value of your vehicle. However, we can not give an accurate appraisel by exchanging emails. We have to see the vehicle and I am certain you wouldn't want me to waste your time by giving you a trade value we may not be able to honor"

Basically any line that you can come up with that politely says "Hey, I don't want to waste your time" .. This seems to nip things with difficult customers.

Our strategy with customer's like that is to send them an email referring them to one of the big volume stores in Florida. There is 10 to 20% of business out there that we just don't want. Think of all the time and effort you put into those leads/customers and either A)don't get a sale or B)get a low gross sale and usually a poor CSI survey. Our resources (both human and financial) are much better spent on creating a meaningful, long lasting relationship with the remainder of the car shopping/buying population. Not to mention that sometimes we get some pretty nasty/disrespectful email responses from customers that our sales associates take personal (which you can't, but it is difficult to ignore sometimes.)