• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

An Open Letter to Customers

Our strategy with customer's like that is to send them an email referring them to one of the big volume stores in Florida. There is 10 to 20% of business out there that we just don't want. Think of all the time and effort you put into those leads/customers and either A)don't get a sale or B)get a low gross sale and usually a poor CSI survey. Our resources (both human and financial) are much better spent on creating a meaningful, long lasting relationship with the remainder of the car shopping/buying population. Not to mention that sometimes we get some pretty nasty/disrespectful email responses from customers that our sales associates take personal (which you can't, but it is difficult to ignore sometimes.)

This is a pretty interesting post. I never get so critical of a customers request or demands to want to refer them to another dealership. I'll deal with it. I guess it's the dale carnegie attitude in me.

It doesn't happen too often, just when you get that email response that they are talking to 20 dealers, from which they will have a second round of the best 3 prices from those 20, and let the last 3 dealers bid against each other . Not worth the time and effort with all the other opportunities out there. We can't be all things to all people, and not all business is good business.