• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Another Big Change in Google Ranking Algorithm

Yago,

Thankfully, I've only seen improvements on sites that I'm still optimizing, and stable rankings with sites that have been optimized. That isn't to say that there wasn't changes. I saw a couple of competitors get slid down the SERPs who weren't doing great on page SEO. Mostly stuffing and fluff.

The Panda update targets slim and poor content. This describes pretty much every car dealer website out there. There's thousands of pages about things like "2014 Honda Civic" with almost identical content, including a dozen or so on each Honda Dealer's website. Ironically, I think this is what saves our industry. Whereas tons of small businesses just went out of business, as well as major ones like Metafilter laying off staff, the auto industry is consistently poor, duplicate content and duplicate vdps, leaving no exceptions to punish.

For a scary thought, though, if the major website companies made a concise effort to improve things as a whole we could see a sizable problem in the future. meaning, if 3000 dealers all of a sudden had completely unique websites Google might be able to find a way to put an algorithm on us. Probably will never happen that way, but you can bet that the sites that invest in content will ultimately do better.

Which would lead us to the next thought, why isn't there programs out there teaching dealers how to write content? Or is there, and I'm just out of the loop?

I'm seeing Vast's BestRide.com doing very well.

That's the first time I've ever heard of them, but that's not too surprising since I tend to keep to my circle outside of forums. One thing I did notice right away is that they are running a Linux based server, which is case sensitive, and are returning the same page regardless of using upper or lower case urls. This server type treats each of these pages as separates, which means that there could be the potential for lots of duplicate content activity. It would take sloppy URLs by designers or link builders to see an impact from this, but it is better to keep that door closed.

Love the look and feel of that site, though.

One thing I did notice right away is that they are running a Linux based server, which is case sensitive, and are returning the same page regardless of using upper or lower case urls.

Not necessarily true. Linux servers running Apache have mod_spelling and a simple flag as to whether or not they want to treat URLs as case sensitive or case insensitive.
Their site treats parameters as case sensitive (ie: /TX and /tx are different results).
Not a big deal, but just pointing out that Linux servers can't all be painted with the same brush.

On our end, I've seen no detrimental changes in the dealership websites.
A couple sites have seen a bump in their rate of increase, but the rest are still holding their "slow but steady" increase rate.

I noticed that some of the stores we work with who use a third-party company for blogging have taken a serious hit. These "blogs" are a collection of "Check out this new 2014 MAKE MODEL available in CITY. If you live in CITY and are looking for a MAKE MODEL then STORE is your best bet in CITY."

It's about time the algorithm stopped respecting trash in my humble opinion.