• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anybody Using KBB's CDMData Digital Lot Solution

andwrig

4 Pounder
Apr 11, 2009
Awards
First Name
Vinart Dealerships
Just curious if anyone has any experience using KBB's CDMData Digital Lot Solution. If so, what did you like/dislike? Did you use the all in one camera/tablet to capture vehicle information and photos, etc?

I get the handy one-box idea and that's all I liked about it. If you demand top performance from your internet marketing efforts, you'll need best of class in pictures and options collection. I am sorry to say the last time I tested the CDM system the camera was very bad and the VIN to options recording system was inflexible.

Thanks for the info Joe. I'm trying to figure out a way to efficiently take pics of my new cars and get them on my website. I don't think its feasible for me at this juncture to have my new car inventory brought into my studio for my photographer to take pics like he does for my used cars. If i could take new car pics on the lot I think that would be sufficient and much more efficient if they could be upload wirelessly or by docking the unit without having to weed through all the photos to make sure the right photos get uploaded to the right car. I'm very happy with my inventory management software. I'm more interested in the CDM iTab then anything else. I guess i'm conflicted about the time and value of posting real photos of new cars on my website. Used cars, it goes without saying. I'm just not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze on new cars. I'm not arguing for or against it.

I get the handy one-box idea and that's all I liked about it. If you demand top performance from your internet marketing efforts, you'll need best of class in pictures and options collection. I am sorry to say the last time I tested the CDM system the camera was very bad and the VIN to options recording system was inflexible.

Hi Joe,

I heard just the other day that there was a dramatic improvement with the new camera in the CDM unit. I don't know if it's right for every dealer, but if it's really improved, could it hurt to get a demo?

Merchandising is Relative.
Forecasting ROI from Merchandising is far easier when you take a look at what experience your competitors are serving to your shoppers. For example, if your competitors are NOT taking pics, they you have merchandising leverage (and vice versa). Being a leader is better than playing catchup.

Try a test?
Offer a button near the pic area that asks the shopper if they'd like to see pics. The button would need a good hook to overcome natural objections. Something like... "Express Custom Pictures' or, "Fast Pics from our Internet Dept" "Our cars sell so fast we make pics by custom order only' You get the idea.

Have the button open a form that asks some qualifying questions for sales follow up.

HTH

For me its not a question of it's a good idea (too take pics of new cars). For me its trying to figure out the most efficient, cost effective way to get it done. That's what I am studying now. Hence the post. I appreciate all the feedback fellas...

Hi Joe,

I heard just the other day that there was a dramatic improvement with the new camera in the CDM unit. I don't know if it's right for every dealer, but if it's really improved, could it hurt to get a demo?

Ed,

Could it hurt? No... Yes.. maybe.
I'm no Alex Snyder when it comes to cameras ;-) but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite! hahaha.. ok, but I can say it really depends on the standards that the Dealer management sets on the finished VDP. ALL Digital Camera's have a very hard time with interior & exterior shots in bright sunlight. It's the complex software in the camera that balances it that out. White cars often make the shot go grey. They bought someone's camera system and put it in the box, if they're smart, they got a name brand to associate the new and improved camera to improve its bad reputation.

Did they go wide-angle?
Probably not. Interior shots are the "money" shots. Non-barreling wide angle shots are KEY to making the interior look bigger than your competitor.

And what do you do with the box when you wear out the camera?
A data entry operator can handle 100-200 cars per month, takes 25 pics per unit and has taken 30,000-60,000 pics after 12 months. My team has pointed out white spots on images that look like snow flakes. I trace it back to a tired camera. What's CDM do when the camera bites the dust? Do you go without until it's replaced/repaired? Do they overnight a new one while yours is in for service? Do they tell you to go to Best Buy, buy a new camera and USB one into the box while a refurbished one is sent in its place?

I haven't touched the VIN SNAFU yet

For me its not a question of it's a good idea (too take pics of new cars). For me its trying to figure out the most efficient, cost effective way to get it done. That's what I am studying now. Hence the post. I appreciate all the feedback fellas...

Andy,

Sorry to babble, I swear it's a curse!

We use webIOL2Go.
Data gathering is done in a simple Handheld pocket PC using HN's software. After data collection, we take pics in any digital camera. Time stamps on pics will automatically match the previous unit you just collected data on. Nothing proprietary. HTH. PM me anytime.

p.s. Just ck'd out your site and it's looking righteous! Love that homepage, simple, strong yet sophisticated. Kudos!

Last edited:
Joe - you are expressing all of my concerns exactly about the iTab and how well it will hold up. Perhaps a digital camera hooked up to a tablet on a shoulder would be the best way to do if the iTab wasn't the best option. Personally, I'm waiting for the Droid version of the iPad. I'm just not a Mac guy. It's all about load times and efficiency of the system. The vin bar code scanner is a cool feature as well. I'd love to go 100% bar coding for my vehicle and parts inventory...

Thanks for the compliment on the site Joe! We are using eCarList currently for everything inventory related and its fabulous in terms of its detail and usability. All of these companies have their own little thing they do well I guess...

Thanks again for the input.

Andy,

Sorry to babble, I swear it's a curse!

We use webIOL2Go.
Data gathering is done in a simple Handheld pocket PC using HN's software. After data collection, we take pics in any digital camera. Time stamps on pics will automatically match the previous unit you just collected data on. Nothing proprietary. HTH. PM me anytime.

p.s. Just ck'd out your site and it's looking righteous! Love that homepage, simple, strong yet sophisticated. Kudos!