• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone Can Manage a Green Pea!

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
I have the greatest respect for a good salesperson. I know there are a lot of sales structures out there and they all have their advantages. I like having ISMs working cradle to grave. I have been able to recruit, train, motivate and retain good salespeople. Many have been recruited from the floor and we viewed going to the Internet department as a promotion. I have had some really outstanding people. As salespeople grow into top performers, they often become more difficult. If I fired an ISM because he pissed off one of the Sales Managers, I would be constantly on a recruiting mission. Honestly, I love the challenge of working talented people. It's a rare day, when I don't hear from one of my old salespeople or managers. I miss this and is the reason why I want to get back into a store.

John, I got drafted into the Army. So where do they send this Cajun boy for basic? Fort Dix, New Jersey in the dead of winter. After AIT, they sent me to Fort Devens, MA. The people were nice but it was way too cold and they talk funny.

John, I got drafted into the Army. So where do they send this Cajun boy for basic? Fort Dix, New Jersey in the dead of winter. After AIT, they sent me to Fort Devens, MA. The people were nice but it was way too cold and they talk funny.

Ahhhh.... so you like to sweat. I get it. Not me. Flannel-shirt and a pair of jeans, 42-degrees ALL YEAR LONG would be perfect! But you're right -- NJ people talk funny!! ahahaha!!

I really started this thread to see how others deal with excellent but difficult ISMs.

Ahhhh... The Diva Dilemma.

Honestly, stroke their hair and tell them how pretty they are. Seriously.

This business breeds and rewards type-A egos. Attempts to "tame" those egos lead to the egress of which you speak above.

I think you need to play-up to those egos. Let them know and "agree" with them that they are better, and faster, and bigger, and stronger, and smarter. Explain to them how the Desk may not be up to their level, but the Desk is, however, an integral part of the process, and that the VERY BEST ISM's are able to enable the interactions they need by being smarter than the Desk.

Let them know that it's OK to bitch to you -- because you get it, you understand -- and that it's your job to step-in to the GM or DP on their behalf when the desk becomes an obstacle.

It's been my experience that you reward the desired behaviors and provide an outlet for inherent frustration in a constructive way to keep a crew of happy peeps.

Or plan B: get the hammer out. :)