• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone Have Experience with the SEO offered by OEM Website companies?

SEO: chevy smallville ... gosh! if there is only 1 chevy dealer in smallville, you will rank #1 forever in SEO until another chevy dealer cuts into your market.

I heard that seo is great money ... but guess what! light house (I heard it's free and built into your chrome browser) will get you 80% of the way there.

actually - technical SEO and title tags aren't the job of your website provider. The website providers simply offer a website platform. The only "included" SEO is the out-of-the-box optimization on VDPs. It's absolutely not their job to do anything related to SEO (and not something any dealer should expect)

Reactions: BillKVMotorCo
SEO: chevy smallville ... gosh! if there is only 1 chevy dealer in smallville, you will rank #1 forever in SEO until another chevy dealer cuts into your market.

I heard that seo is great money ... but guess what! light house (I heard it's free and built into your chrome browser) will get you 80% of the way there.
Yeah, they'll rank for Chevy terms... but for anything else, like used cars, or service, or non-brand-loyal customers, they won't rank unless they do SEO.

And Lighthouse is absolutely not a substitute for SEO, and doesn't get you anywhere near 80% there... (yes, I work for an SEO agency, but that's not me trying to sell my services... That's me making sure that dealers don't get bad information and make bad decisions)

I haven't personally used DDC SEO or similar OEM website companies for SEO, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some businesses find value in the convenience and expertise these companies offer, while others prefer to handle SEO in-house for more control and customization. It ultimately depends on your specific needs and resources.
Before making a decision, I recommend researching DDC SEO's track record, customer reviews, and the specifics of their services to see if they align with your SEO goals. If you're interested, I found a couple of articles on this topic that might be helpful: https://www.linkedin.cоm/pulse/maximizing-visibility-advanced-seo-accountants-boost-clientele-smith-dyhje/

@Carsten the goal for SEO in this scenario should be:
  1. Rank for smallville used car searches
  2. Rank for smallville fixed ops searches
  3. Rank for nearby medium-ville and big-ville Chevrolet searches

Yeah, they'll rank for Chevy terms... but for anything else, like used cars, or service, or non-brand-loyal customers, they won't rank unless they do SEO.

And Lighthouse is absolutely not a substitute for SEO, and doesn't get you anywhere near 80% there... (yes, I work for an SEO agency, but that's not me trying to sell my services... That's me making sure that dealers don't get bad information and make bad decisions)

And to further back up @Greg_Gifford's point that Core Web Vitals are not a substitute for SEO - here is a quote right from Google's own documentation:

"These scores are meant to help you to improve your site for your users overall, and trying to get a perfect score just for SEO reasons may not be the best use of your time."

I'm just trying to share my knowledge and I don't have agenda to push for high end services.
I am not trying to protect the tricks of my trade either,

Light House does get you to the 80% mark. However, the next 20% is probably where Greg is saying that it doesn't cut muster. Which I do agree 100%. So, of course light house is not the best for a professional SEO tool. There's hrefs, screaming frog, and many other tools.
But it still comes down to staying on top of the latest google trends, schema.org, json-ld, html tags, becoming a content authority and such.

Does clean code and speed matter?

The video the other day which featured AutoGenius (i think that is who they are) mentioned lazydays. Those guys sure think so and I agree with them. They made it their mantra and they were making fun of dealers whose pages load in 26 seconds. They useimagekit for their image cdn. I wonder if google thinks that is better than any other cdn? I also think that top tier brand services will help your rankings. The length of how long you paid for your domain probably does too. I come from an industry that Accessibility scores really matter a lot. Those amubulance chasing lawyers go after companies who fail at this.

When it comes down to it. We just don't know what Google is going to do in the next 5 minutes to your search rankings.

"Yeah, they'll rank for Chevy terms... but for anything else, like used cars, or service, or non-brand-loyal customers, they won't rank unless they do SEO."

I am going to disagree with that comment slightly.

What is the SEO for this? The following experience will cover why I question this.
What is your target? New car sales, used car sales, 700+ fico, BHPH, or what not?
Where are you located? large city or small hick town like my example?

Here's an anedotal experience:
I grew up in small town in WNY. We now have a Chevy dealer about 10 miles away. West Herr is the major player from what I'm hearing. Or am I looking for something like Hamburg Camp Auto Sales. The opposite extreme is that I live in Houston. I took my Jeep to the dealer just last week. (I bought the easy care warranty for it -- not plugging them but I should) and was looking for where to go. I am new to Houston and my exposure to the various dealers in town is just driving down roads. No opinion for anyone. I am car body style loyal and don't pick dealers by brand. But my friend does and he's a die hard Toyota guy. I bought my current Jeep after using gurus extensively and just happened to talk with a dealer salesman that I sort of chat with over the years I've known him and saw my current vehicle by chance and I was just tired of looking more.

So all of this is saying that I really think that dealers need to look at their own specific location and customer base and adjust to those
critieria for their web marketing campaings.