• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone using an Instant Messaging system internally?

Microsoft has an option that is secure. The IT department at Checkered Flag explored it at one time because it worked with Active Directory. I'm not sure why they didn't roll it out to the whole company but we used it in the BDC.

However....The problem we encountered was that you had to be on the Checkered Flag network or VPN'd in to use it (then). Most of the time someone wanted to use chat it was outside of the office, so we ended-up going back to AIM. We're using AIM at Dealer.com - despite not being the most secure, it is definitely the easiest chat tool for the employees. And it comes with the most programs that can utilize it which works great in a Mac/PC/Linux-friendly environment.

I remember using winpopup in high school to communicate with my buddies in the computer lab.

We communicate via Skype, I know thats similar to AIM or Yahoo but if it's just for the employees to communicate back and forth wouldnt any simple messenger do that?

I'd use Pidgin, get an account from any messaging service, and use that. It's lightweight, can be ran on mac and linux.

Microsoft has an option that is secure. The IT department at Checkered Flag explored it at one time because it worked with Active Directory. I'm not sure why they didn't roll it out to the whole company but we used it in the BDC.

However....The problem we encountered was that you had to be on the Checkered Flag network or VPN'd in to use it (then). Most of the time someone wanted to use chat it was outside of the office, so we ended-up going back to AIM. We're using AIM at Dealer.com - despite not being the most secure, it is definitely the easiest chat tool for the employees. And it comes with the most programs that can utilize it which works great in a Mac/PC/Linux-friendly environment.

Is the Microsoft progam the Windows Live Messenger?

AIM seemed simple enough, just set an account up, I didn't realize I could do it with my dealership email. Now I got to set everyone else up.

Thanks Alex, great advice, I owe ya a beer!

We use Openfire which is an opensource (free) jabber server along with their client software spark. We have it running on an old Windows 2000 server. The server software works awesome, you can use any jabber (XMPP) client. It was pretty easy to setup and does not take much to get it up and running. If you have any more questions on it just let me know.

OPENFIRE - Ignite Realtime: Openfire Server

SPARK - Ignite Realtime: Spark IM Client

Another great SECURE Instant messenging system is called Brosix. It's got some encryption so you can pass information along without worrying about it being leaked or otherwise mishandled.

Otherwise I'm with Alex -- AIM is the way to go. It can be used from phones, terminals, or even as a flash version on the web if you can't download -- for example, if you're somewhere that you don't have administrative privileges.

Another great SECURE Instant messenging system is called Brosix. It's got some encryption so you can pass information along without worrying about it being leaked or otherwise mishandled.

Otherwise I'm with Alex -- AIM is the way to go. It can be used from phones, terminals, or even as a flash version on the web if you can't download -- for example, if you're somewhere that you don't have administrative privileges.

Thanks for the info, we are actually using AIM now, works great!

Hi Everyone,

What your identifying as a "communication" issue should be looked into a little further before you proceed with a Instant Messaging System as your solution. A lot of the issues may be fixed by just revising your current "service process" (Car in to Car out internal procedures).

Potential Problem with Instant Messaging Software: Instant messaging often occurs with a back and forth, back and forth kind of sequence, getting bits of information at a time. It may seem beneficial as there is much communication going back and forth but action does not necessarily equal productivity. This will be time consuming and is not efficient as it requires the users to go back to the computer for every little reply. Also this free flowing system without guidance allows for staff to pick and choose their process to "communicate" the necessary procedures.

To fully understand this it's best to think of what your defining as their need to "Communicate". Once you know that maybe the instant messenger still makes sense but at least there will be a little more direction behind it when you introduce it to your staff.

Hope this helps,
Garrett