• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Apps for iPhone after the Jailbreak?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Thanks to Eric Miltsch for talking me into jailbreaking my iPhone. Anything AT&T or Apple didn't do can be found on the "darkside".

So what are you using? With so many apps and mods, it is hard to figure out what is cool and what isn't.

I jailbroke with BlackRa1n and am using Cydia for my apps/mods. Here's my list that grows daily:

• Backgrounder - run apps in the background like AIM
  • BigBoss's Source - necessary for other apps
  • BlackDarkness - theme
  • BossPrefs - get rid of Apple default icons and other things that should have been standard
  • Cydia - Jailbreakers' app source
  • Five Icon Dock - my most used items are always present
  • MacBook air keyboard - more theme stuff
  • MobileTerminal - like Dos for the iPhone (bad example) - allows you to really hack in
  • My3G - makes apps believe you're connected by WiFi all the time
  • MyWi - enables wireless tethering for an Internet connection on your laptop or as a mobile wifi hotspot
  • Rock extensions - comes with MyWi, but manages your jailbroken apps pretty well
  • SBSettings & sbsettingstoggles - allows for BigBoss' mods and a very handy menu that slides down for network connections and other quick toggle items
  • SMS Helper - tells you how many characters are left to type in a text message (should have been standard equipment)
  • Storm Keyboard - another theme changer
  • WinterBoard - controls your themes...a must!

I like a very simple theme. Some crazier ones can be found at: Post Spring/Winterboard Screenshots 2.x - 3.1.x - Mac Forums

64-photo.jpg
63-photo-2.jpg

I'm running my Iphone on our Air Sync to our web platform, which in turn syncs with Outlook, but also live archives to the web contact and activities manager. All without an exchange server. Access to my CRM is virtual and always available.

Do it with Black Ra1n and install only Cydia. Once you're done, check out those apps I listed and be ready to spend a lot of time playing around.

I tried jailbreaking my 3GS with everything and Black Ra1n was the only program that could do it. On top of that, it took all of 2 minutes while the others took MUUUUUCH longer.