• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are there any Dealerships using Mobile downloadable apps for Iphones/Androids ?

[email protected]

Lot Lizard
May 11, 2011
First Name
Julia
New product is being introduced in Canada,
I would like to know if any have already been using Mobile apps to bring more traffic from the Smart phone users, and what are the results if any?
How do you advertise your app and does it bring you traffic to websites, social media pages and your location?

We do have an iPhone and an Android app through MobileAppLoader. We've had it for about 8 months now. We are seeing usage on it. It is hard to see what the ROI would be on it. I do see people downloading it more and also the usage is going up month over month. The only thing that I can see is the iPhone usage which is a little downside since the Android platform doesn't offer any type of analytics to my knowledge. We are seeing more service appointments made from it. On our sourcing that is done in F&I, we have had a few customers say that they used the app to find their new vehicle.

Jim - can you come up with a percentage for me: Number of monthly app users ÷ Number of monthly returning visitors to your website = _______
We have 430 users as of this morning. So far this month, we have had 206 sessions. There is no way for me to see of those people who hit our mobile site from the app. Our mobile site traffic is up over 300% from last year so I have to assume some of that is from the app. We have had 22 service appts set from within the app. These are just stats for the iPhone. The android platform doesn't have the analytics tool that I have with within the app.

We have 430 users as of this morning. So far this month, we have had 206 sessions. There is no way for me to see of those people who hit our mobile site from the app. Our mobile site traffic is up over 300% from last year so I have to assume some of that is from the app. We have had 22 service appts set from within the app. These are just stats for the iPhone. The android platform doesn't have the analytics tool that I have with within the app.

Thanks for those stats. It is hard to gauge what kind of volume you're dealing with as a whole without comparing to another medium. I was hoping you'd throw out the percentages instead of actual numbers. Do you mind crunching that math?

Thanks for your response,
Did you have your app developed or did you purchase it from a third party provider?
I'm curious to know what dealers are willing to pay for an app that will give your potential clients options like scheduling a test drive, being referred to mobile site, getting map with directions, tracking downloads, ability to send the users promo notifications?

I'm curious to know what dealers are willing to pay for an app that will give your potential clients options like scheduling a test drive, being referred to mobile site, getting map with directions, tracking downloads, ability to send the users promo notifications?

I've talked to a few different dealers who have tried those "apps" (errrr....fancy mobile sites someone labeled as an "app") and the results are abysmal. If they had paid a lot for them they would have shut them down after a few short months. The fact that they're paying so little keep those "apps" alive.

In 1911 the general public didn't want to fully engage with car dealers and it is no different 100 years later.

It seems to me that mobile sites make sense for shoppers, while apps make sense for owners. When you're shopping multiple dealers, who would want to download an app for each dealership? But after you've made a purchase, having a full-featured app to track your service records, schedule service and more might make sense. An app that includes a full owners manual would be the 'Holy Grail'. But for shopping; I don't see it.

Ed nailed it. An app is a tool for the customers. If the app is only focused on inventory and being used only every couple of years, it fails. It must go a step further to hold value, focused on auto in general - tracking service, storing all vehicle and insurance info, gas price finder, parking attendant and much more. Can't speak for any other company but we're going to be implementing owners manuals, navigation, dms integration, etc.. Owners manuals are being implemented first. No intention of being pitchy, just want to show what's happening and defend the industry.

We're in the middle of a couple case studies that we'll be sending out soon, the numbers thus far are interesting and I think will surprise a lot of people. When customers use the tool, because is has value to them, the mobile marketing part works. With touchscreens running on the Android OS being launched in cars as early as this year, it takes apps to a whole new level.