• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Attribution: Do you give the last touchpoint all of the credit for a sale?

mbloom19

Noob
Feb 20, 2013
First Name
Mike
Over the last year, since most of these changes referenced in the article went into effect, we have found that campaigns that are open and we aren't focused on targeting a specific person or look-alike audiences, deliver much greater returns for our clients. When we had access to all of the data that was made available in Facebook we always ran split tests using specific targets vs an age/geo only ad set and found that often times the open campaigns performed as high as the most targeted campaigns. Even if the data provider says they've identified huge segments that are in-market - there are infinitely more people that data shows that aren't necessarily "in-market" but our ads may generate their interest.

On Facebook and Instagram it all comes down to the creative - if you use dull inventory images with bad inventory overlays you won't see any return on your ad spend. The creative (video!) is now the most important part for generating leads and messenger conversations.

Do you see anything different with your dealership (or dealership clients)?

What Lies Ahead for Marketers as the Tide Turns Against Ad Targeting – Adweek
https://www.adweek.com/agencies/what-lies-ahead-for-marketers-as-the-tide-turns-against-ad-targeting

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Over the last year, since most of these changes referenced in the article went into effect, we have found that campaigns that are open and we aren't focused on targeting a specific person or look-alike audiences, deliver much greater returns for our clients. When we had access to all of the data that was made available in Facebook we always ran split tests using specific targets vs an age/geo only ad set and found that often times the open campaigns performed as high as the most targeted campaigns. Even if the data provider says they've identified huge segments that are in-market - there are infinitely more people that data shows that aren't necessarily "in-market" but our ads may generate their interest.

On Facebook and Instagram it all comes down to the creative - if you use dull inventory images with bad inventory overlays you won't see any return on your ad spend. The creative (video!) is now the most important part for generating leads and messenger conversations.

Do you see anything different with your dealership (or dealership clients)?
What you say makes sense, especially for video, but I'm referring more to the upcoming impact of regulations, which is something @jon.berna mentioned in an interview here. It's something that's agreeable on both sides too, bipartisan. Those days are coming.

Reactions: mbloom19

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Gee... you don't say? You giant fucking assholes.

MRC May Deprecate Click As An Ad Metric, Part Of Shift To Outcome-Based Measurement
https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/335852/mrc-may-deprecate-the-click-as-an-ad-metric-part.html

Aren't you the folks who sold click as a sledgehammer metric in the 90s-00s? Now I know it was all smoke and mirrors - I'm just looking for you to admit that much of today is still smoke and mirrors... fraud abounds... just a LITTLE honesty is all I ask.

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Senate Judiciary Looks at Digital Ad Space
Focus is on protecting information privacy without blowing up ad-supported 'net model
https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/senate-judiciary-looks-at-digital-ad-space

Just the beginning of a major privacy overhaul and it's going to be bipartisan. The fact that tougher privacy laws could range differently from State to State will only make attribution even less holistic than it already is now. LMFAO! Ohhhh dear...

Last edited:

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
I think I called this...
You absolutely did and I was going to mention you, but I have been giving you so many @ mentions and kudos, dudes might have thought it was some man crush or something wicked! ;-)

Reactions: jon.berna

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex

Baron Ringler

Getting Refreshed
Jul 6, 2010
First Name
Baron
I have always found a 2-point attribution on sales to work well; ten points for the initial source and 5 points for the most recent one. Over the course of a month you just tally the markers and it gives you a very nice representation of what are your best sources, both quality-wise and ROI.

Reactions: Alexander Lau