• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Autobase Reports / My Pay-Plan

Brent Palen

8 Pounder Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
First Name
Brent
I have been working as the ISM since last April. The Digital Dealer Conference in Vegas was my inaguration into the virtual world.:banana2: My dealer principle has not figured out a pay plan for me yet so I need some suggestions to pass along. One problem we are having is measuring success through our Autobase reports. I would assume that some of you are using AB and have the same reports. The problem is the three internet reports, (Internet Advertising Source, Internet Audit Tracking, and Internet Opportunity Report) all show different numbers for internet leads logged, sales, etc... Can anyone offer us any clarity or point me towards some resources that show what these reports are reading.

Here is our setup. We sell about 100/mo. as a store (that includes new and used). I have 3 salespeople handling about 60 internet leads a month and I oversee them. I handle everything with the website including design, photos, newsletter, new ideas, etc. I also back-up the F&I and handle dealer trades.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would never base my pay plan on ANY report in AutoBase :rofl:

My dealers use AutoBase and I have the same issues. I have yet to find 1 report in AutoBase that reflects the same numbers across several reports.

If you can muster the time, energy and cash you might want to consider having AB built you a custom report that would reflect what you want your pay based on.

Autobase does have a decent report that you could base your pay on IF you can get the numbers to match up and that is the Internet Opportunity Report. If you can't get this report to reflect the right numbers (and call me if you do) it might be a decent report to base your "custom" report off of.

I feel your pain Brent.

Good Evening Brent. My name is Joshua Bateson, Account Analyst with Autobase. Phil Barras and I left a voice mail for you at the dealership and I look forward to working together tomorrow to find out exactly what you are looking for with regard to reporting capabilities and your pay-plan.

In the meantime, please feel free to read up on those particular reports you referenced in your post by logging in to Autobase and hitting "F1." This is your Online Help tool and it will help you become more familiar with what those reports are pulling...

Hit F1:
-Select "Autobase Online Help" at the top left
-Select Autobase Sales Center
-Select Managers
-Select Reports:
--Internet Advertising Source
--Internet Audit Tracking
--Internet Opportunity

Speak with you tomorrow!

Looks like AB has google alerts! I will give them some props here. They are now working hard to help and hopefully we will get something figured out. Also, I confess, I should have given them a call first but I have grown to rely on this site for the gobs of information it provides.

I will let you all know if I find out anything helpful on AB reports. Please feel free to keep contributing. It would be especially helpfull if you all would say you are getting $200K a year base salary!!!!;)

Brent, that's what the forum is here for. Yes you could have picked up the phone but believe me your voice was much louder here on the forums!

I hope Autobase gets those reports squared away for you and allows you to figure out a way of basing your salary on an ILM report that you can pull at any given time of the month to track your departments performance.

I spent some time on the phone with Autobase on Fri. and we are seeing what can be came up with. It may entail making a custom report but we will have to see. I am not sure yet but I think the "Internet Opportunity" report may be our best source but what I am struggling with is the fact that if a floor up goes home at night and inquires about a vehicle Autobase recognizes that as an Internet lead. In my eyes an internet lead is a client who makes their first contact with the dealership through an internet source like our website, Cars.com, etc... I think if you don't differentiate then all customers become internet leads (at least 80% right). Don't get me wrong, I am still focused on getting to the public via all of our online ventures but since a portion of my job is being accountible for the "internet leads" then I need a good way to track that. Hopefully we get this all sorted out. I will keep posting.

How do you all define an "internet lead"?

Hi Brent,

We use the internet advertising source to give us total sales. However we export the information into a excel spreedsheat and remove invalid leads, double or triple inquiries from same person. We also do not count Zag leads that are outside our State ( Maryland).

I was hired in March to work as a team with another manager and we work as a team. We are both paid for the departments total sales. Before I came onboard it was a one manager and 6 salespeople . The sales total was not what the company expected.. Since we have 2 dedicated managers, sales have increased tremendously. We are setting new records for internet sales.

When it comes to salespeople, we try not to assign leads to any particular salesperson. whoever greets them, gets them. It seems to work.

So there's a thought for you !

Last edited:
Here is our setup. We sell about 100/mo. as a store (that includes new and used). I have 3 salespeople handling about 60 internet leads a month and I oversee them. .

Could you clarify one thing for me, Im still learning , Im curious, is that 60 internet leads per salesperson, or 60 total, which breaks down to about 2 per day?

Do you , or are you thinking about offering chat for service as well?

Do you think a person could handle both? Personally I do, I guess it depends on how much traffic you have. I think having a person help people get through the online service schedule options would help avoid people choosing the wrong service, and help expedite the process in terms of scheduling and by getting pre-approval for obvious repairs. If someone is online to scheduele a 30k, and mentions that their brakes are squealing you could pre-approve them for brake pads should they need it and make sure that you schedule them for when your tech who is your brake guy is available. I guess it all depends on how the shop is set up.

Its a way you could make more money. These are just ideas that run through my head, probably need to wait till I get involved with a particular dealership to see what works and what doesnt.