• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Automatic Texting

bpreston

Grease Monkey
Apr 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Bobby
Hey guys,

I would like to implement some automated texting into our sales and service process... one to one texting not mass texting. What is the law around this? Are we able to text a customer that visited our showroom or service department without them opting in for text? Or do they need to opt in in order for us to be able to send one to one texts?

On the service end, I know XTime offers some texting solutions for when the vehicle is ready to be picked up. Does anyone if you can customize texts to send out a next day follow up text to see how the customers visit was?

On the sales end, I'd like to have an automated text for all customers that visited the showroom to see how their experience was and if they didn't buy a vehicle, what prevented them from buying? Do any CRM's offer this or is there another service that does this and if so how does it know which customers visited the showroom?

Thanks for the help!

Bobby Preston

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
You may want to look at either Podium or Birdeye, I believe both offer CRM integration and ability to send out surveys, each has additional benefits (onsite chat, reputation management, etc.) not sure if it solves what you're looking for completely, but may be an option.

Reactions: craigh
I believe the law is that they have to opt in to remain compliant. I know of a case where the dealership called a cell number and the customer tried to sue for them using the cell number as it is considered PIIA, but they had a Callbright recording of the person calling and requesting info.

As for platforms, Reynolds and Reynolds has a texting option and as mentioned above, Podium does as part of their review platform.

Bobby - are you with the Preston Auto Group? I just looked at one site, Preston BMW, and you have CarNow chat. The platform allows your sales staff to send an "invite" feature to the customer as they are getting ready to leave the showroom which invites them into a text conversation. FCC compliant. The sales person can send it to them right on the floor from the CarNow app and tell the customer to opt in before they leave. One way that dealers have used this successfully is to then send to the customers phone:

1) virtual, content / photo filled digital VDP on the car they are interested in
2) an OEM brochure on the car
3) and a digital contact card for the sales person with their photo / name / email etc so they have all that info right on their phone after they leave.

There is also the ability to send any URL link to their phone as well, so put a Google review or other review platform URL link to your reviews in the CarNow back end. Then your sales guys can access and shoot that review link over to the customers phone once they opt in to the Invite and are texting. Reach out to your CarNow rep to make sure your staff are up to speed on the Invite feature, getting review URL links set up to send etc - it may help you with at least some of what you are trying to accomplish.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Hi Bobby,

I few things here. You do need consent to send a text to a shopper. Most lead generation services you use should have that built in the disclaimer as the shopper creates a lead form. To be safe your first text should be a TCPA compliant message that instructs the shopper what they are going to receive from you and an opt-out capability. This is good CYA to avoid any shark type lawsuits. Also to note messaging should only take place from 8AM-8PM to stay within compliance. There are a few more things also but those are some of the bigger flags you need to make sure you are doing. Texting is an awesome way to engage more shoppers and you can do so much to move your numbers if you do it right. Let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Todd

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Hi Bobby -- good luck finding 2 of the same interpretations of TCPA... but here's mine:

The second you move away from a human-being pushing a button to send 1 text to 1 person -- any level of automation -- you are now in TCPA territory, where you need expressed consent to send text messages. Anything that deals with automated "dialing" requires TCPA compliance. And if you are going to go the automation route, you'd better have automated opt-out, too.

My $.02.

JQ